VMware Cloud Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Adding vCenter Server for another Cluster

We are going to be splitting up our environment into 2 cluster.  Currently we have 6 hosts with all servers and VDI desktops in the same cluster.  We want to separate out servers from the View VDI desktops and was curious how the vCenter piece needed to go.  What needs to be done when I add another vCenter server to the new cluster?  are there any prereqs that need taken care of before i start to move VM's ad Servers??  What i plan on doing is leaving all the VDI in the current cluster (MWNS) and then adding a cluster called SERVERS and moving all the servers to that cluster.  Just not sure if somethign special needs done with the new vCenter or not.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Perry

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It actually depends on the advanced features you are using, e.g. Distributed Switches, ...

If you don't use features which depend on the vCenter Server (except things like DRS), it's pretty straight forward to move the hosts to another vCenter Server.

What may be worth looking at, is whether you can also separate the datastores, i.e. don't use the same datastores on both vCenter Server environments. Although this may technically work, it might cause confusion at a later time.

Some things you may want to check:

• check whether any plugins need to be migrated too
  • check whether 3rd party tools need to be reconfigured (e.g. backup)
  • ensure that the new vCenter Server version supports the ESXi hosts
  • disable HA, and set DRS to "Manual" (on both, the old and the new cluster) while migrating the hosts
  • configure the cluster settings (e.g. EVC) on the new vCenter Server prior

André

0 Kudos