mhdganji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding the host which includes vcenter on itself to the vcenter

Hi,

3 Hosts, ESXi 6.7 and VCSA 6.7.

VCSA itself is installed on Host 1.

I added hosts 2 & 3 to vCenter. No problem. But while adding the Host 1 which I said contains the vcenter itself I face this error : A general runtime error occurred.

I guess this is because vcenter is there itself. Am I right or I should look for other issues?

And if I'm right how should I fix this? Turning of vcentervm, move it to a shared storage, go to other hosts and add it manually to inventory and ....

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mhdganji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

DNS and time are Ok.

VCSA is working well with no problem at host1 with local storage and I think the problem is not related to local or shared storage.

Assume that it's on a shared storage (or local, it does't make a difference anyway)

So, I'd like to add host1 to vcenter (VCSA) but where is it? On the same host so I think because of this it cannot continue. (some kind of loop)

On a shared storage I have vMotion available but who's gonna do vMotion

I used Veeam free edition (and I could use scp and manual copy too)

But after that I tested other way and it worked. I did not add the host directly to cluster but just to vcenter. Then I tried to move it to cluster. First I encountered EVC error although all hosts where G9 but anyway I raised it from Haswell to Broadwell and it worked.

Thanks anyway.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It should not be an issue to run VCSA on host 1 with local storage.

Deploying VMs to the local storage of ESXi hosts is not recommended, use shared storage.

Did you check DNS and time sync? Restart vCenter services and try again.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
mhdganji
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

DNS and time are Ok.

VCSA is working well with no problem at host1 with local storage and I think the problem is not related to local or shared storage.

Assume that it's on a shared storage (or local, it does't make a difference anyway)

So, I'd like to add host1 to vcenter (VCSA) but where is it? On the same host so I think because of this it cannot continue. (some kind of loop)

On a shared storage I have vMotion available but who's gonna do vMotion

I used Veeam free edition (and I could use scp and manual copy too)

But after that I tested other way and it worked. I did not add the host directly to cluster but just to vcenter. Then I tried to move it to cluster. First I encountered EVC error although all hosts where G9 but anyway I raised it from Haswell to Broadwell and it worked.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos