VMware Cloud Community
sorgiulio
Contributor
Contributor

Add or Upgrade ESXi 5.5

Hi,

I have a small VMware vSphere infrastructure 4.0

It is composed as follows:

1 datacenter with 1 cluster, 2 esx 4.0 and about 10 vms.

I bought 3 server esx 5.5u2 and now I would like to raise my virtual infrastructure.

The best solution is to upgrade the current environment or perform a new installation?

If I upgrade the current environment i can add the new server esx 5.5 in to the esisting environment?

What is the best practice?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please upgrade the environment. Once your all hosts and VC is at the same level, you will be able to add your new servers as well. No need to do Fresh install.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just follow correct upgrade path and cross check if upgrade is supported from 4.0 to 5.5?

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just cross checked, It is supported. VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 2 Release Notes

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
sorgiulio
Contributor
Contributor

Actually we have two DELL PowerEdge R300, Intel Xeon CPU X3323 2,50 Ghz with ESX 4.0.0

I check the VMware Compatibility Guide but our server do not support ESXi 5.5 (view image below).

So I wanted to know if and how we can do the upgrade

Screenshot_1.jpg

0 Kudos
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well - the compatibility guide states what is SUPPORTED. If you're not using the systems in production, you MAY still be able to install 5.5 and have it work normally - but if there is a bug, don't expect any support from VMware. That said, you could always install 5.0 and wait for newer HW to come your way and then move up to 5.5 or even 6 when its released. 

sorgiulio
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much! Smiley Happy

Now, you can tell me where I can find the proper procedure (step-bystep) to upgrade?

0 Kudos