VMware Cloud Community
mimo974
Contributor
Contributor

Add new licence esxi

Hello everyone,

I try to add new licence by my sphere client but i stil same error : the following series keys are not valid

Actually, our system are on 6.5 version vCenter Server Standard and the licence key is for vSphere 7 enterprise Plus. I used administator account and i check this account have permissions on LicenceService.administrators group.

I think its because is not same version i cannot add it ?

Thank for your help and have a nice day.

Regards.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@mimo974 

You need to downgrade your vSphere 7 license to get a vSphere 6 key.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mimo974
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @scott28tt thank you for your answer.

Do you think, if i upgrade my vSphere 6.5 to 7 after i can use the licence key for vSphere 7 ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@mimo974 

You should then be able to upgrade the license again to a vSphere 7 key, not sure about the ones you originally bought as vSphere 6 though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mimo974
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @scott28tt I will see with VMware support.

0 Kudos
amansapra19
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can downgrade your vSphere 7 license key to vSphere 6 using KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665 from your MyVMware Account. If you upgrade your vCenter to version 7 then you can use the existing vSphere 7 key as is. Please note as long as you have an active Support contract with VMware, you can upgrade/downgrade License Keys as many times as you want. 

0 Kudos