VMware Cloud Community
KennyMacCormik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add new ESXi host without creating datastores

Hi,

When I'm adding new ESXi host to my vCenter it always find some free space on my local drive and uses it to crease datastore. This is not the way I want use this space. Is there any way to prevent vCenter behave in this manner? I've tried to use PowerCLI but I've failed finding proper paramenter for Add-VMHosts cmdlet and datastore was created. Again. I do understand I can remove in manually and reallocate space, but is there any other solution for this issue except for manual datastore removal?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KennyMacCormik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I guess I'm not clear. You're saying when you add an ESXi host to vCenter (not before), that process automatically creates a new VMFS datastore on a local drive if it detects unpartitioned space?? If this is correct, you must have some automation in place somewhere that's accomplishing this task because in no way is that standard that I've ever seen, experienced, or heard.

0 Kudos
KennyMacCormik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

This is clean installation of test instance. When adding new ESXi to th vCenter 6.5 new datastore is created and named 'datastore 1'. Since standalone ESXis were not configured for iSCSI or NAS storage the only option left is local storage. I have only 1 AD DS controller, 1 vCSA and 2 hosts. Nothing more. Literally.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Do you see any task in vcenter like 'creating VMFS datastore' when you add ESXi into VC inventory?

I've never seen this behaviour and doubt that it exists.

If you see datastore with name 'Datastore (1)' than more than likely you already have VMFS with name 'Datastore' in VC inventory. And your host has local VMFS datastore created before you try to add into VC inventory.

Can you show some screenshots with host's datastore before you add it into VC and after?

0 Kudos