VMware Cloud Community
Peterccq
Contributor
Contributor

Add another cluster in vcenter?

Hi, I will have to deploy dl380e in 11 branch offices, I install esxi standard 5.1 u1 on the dl380e and create 2 VM in each site, I want to add the host on my Vcenter, it is not in the same subnet . Currently I have two cluster Production and Devellopement. What the best practice? create another cluster???

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you need to add these hosts to vcenter you need to make sure there is communication happening between vcenter's subnet and the subnet on which host is residing. If the servers in production and development are of different make/model then it's better to put these new hosts in a different cluster so they work well and you don't run into issues due to mismatch in processors. If they are all same then you can add it to existing clusters.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Peterccq
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply!!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Creating a cluster inside vCenter allows you to combine multiple ESX hosts in a centralized group, placing all of their CPU and memory resources into a general pool for use by virtual machines. When you add an ESX host to a cluster, the resources will automatically become available for use by the virtual machines.

For example, Figure 4.12 shows six ESX hosts, each of which has 64GB of memory and two quad-core CPUs (i.e., eight CPUs per ESX host, for a total of 48). Because clustering pools the resources, you effectively have an enormous unified pool of CPUs and memory for the virtual machines to run. Combining a cluster with HA and DRS will further enhance your environment.

Figure 4.12. VMware cluster overview

Attached Image

Note

You do not need a license to create ESX clusters. However, to take advantage of HA and DRS you will need to obtain a license key from VMware.

VMware allows for a maximum of 16 ESX hosts in a vCenter 2.5x cluster. In vCenter 4.x you can have up to 32 ESX hosts in a cluster.

VMware has done a really nice job of making it simple to add a new cluster in vCenter:

1. Load the vCenter client and log into your vCenter server.
  2.   Right-click on the datacenter name and select New Cluster, as shown in Figure 4.13.

The New Cluster wizard will launch to guide you through the process of creating the new cluster. The first screen in the wizard will ask you to enter a name for the cluster and indicate whether or not to enable two features:

VMware HA

This feature is available only to users who have a license for the HA product extension. When you enable VMware HA, it will detect and provide rapid recovery of virtual machines if an ESX host fails. This is an optional feature and doesn’t need to be enabled to create a basic cluster.

VMware DRS

This feature also requires a license. DRS allows vCenter server to manage hosts as an aggregate pool of resources. Clusters can be broken down into smaller groups by using resource pools. VMware DRS also allows vCenter to manage resources on virtual machines, even placing them on different hosts if used in conjunction with VMotion. This is an optional feature that is not required to create a cluster.

When you’ve made your selections, press the Next button to continue. Additional cluster features (including DRS and HA) can be enabled or disabled at a later time using processes described elsewhere in this chapter.

Figure 4.13. Adding a new cluster to a datacenter

Attached Image

1. Next, you will be asked where to store the swapfiles for the virtual machines. VMware gives you two options here:
    • Store the swapfile in the same directory as the virtual machine. (Recommended.)
    • Store the swapfile in the datastore specified by the host. (This option is not recommended because you could experience degraded performance.)

Make your selection, then press the Next button to continue.

2. Finally, review the summary and click Finish to initiate the build of the cluster.

You can now add ESX hosts to the cluster.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@

How to Create a VMware Cluster - O'Reilly Answers

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also André, the question is not even about how to create a cluster. This is not the first time. Every single time this happens.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos