VMware Cloud Community
Mozana
Contributor
Contributor

Add ESXi host to new vCenter instace - Preserve Hosts current Resource Pool Hierarchy w/ Powercli

Good Morning Folks,

I am trying to find a way to automate the task of pulling in quite a few ESXI hosts from an old vCenter 5.5 instance into a new 6.5 instance.  I'd like to preserve the current resource pool hierarchy of these hosts as I pull them into the new vCenter.  Performing this task via the WebCleint is straight forward as i am prompted to preserve the current resource pool hierarchy from a grafted host.  I am having a hard time finding the correct parameters to perform this task via powercli.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Which are the missing parameters that you can't found?

I suppose you are querying to the vCenter 5.5 so it can be more limited.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
Mozana
Contributor
Contributor

I am using the standard Add-VMhost powercli commandlet.     I dont see parameters with this command that pertains to pulling in the hosts with its existing resource pool hierarchy (grafted).   I can obviously complete this task via the webclient and it works fine...just trying to automate the process via powercli.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mskupin
Contributor
Contributor

But resource pools are created on cluster level, not host level. So try going this way. Note DRS need to be enabled to create resource pool.

Please mark this as "Correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query. Best regards, Michal
0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Let me check it and I will give you an answer today.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos