VMware Cloud Community
noushadt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add ESXi Server in to Vcenter 5.5 Cluster with diffrent number of socket

I have 5 nodes IBM Flex System X240 Compute Node 8737T7M with 2 CPU Socket in a VM Cluster with identical hardware and now I need to add 1 more  IBM Flex System X240 Compute Node 8737T7M with 1 CPU Socket in to the same cluster.

Below are the other points:-

EVC Mode is disabled in this cluster.

Existing 5 and the new one is same CPU Model and Memory is same capacity.

Only the different is 5 nodes with 2 socket and other node is 1 socket. Please advice is it recommended and is it face any technical issue.

VMware ESXi is 5.0 and Vcenter is 5.5

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

EVC mode is not needed when the CPU generations on the server is the same.

Adding your host to the cluster will work then.

It's not considered best practice though, to add servers to a cluster with a mixed hardware config. A possible problem might be the HA Admission control settings for example. If you configure a number of reserverd failover hosts, you might run into problems when your hosts don't match each other. Here you should define the failover capacity in percentage.

Tim

View solution in original post

2 Replies
noushadt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Friends,

I am waiting for your valuable reply.:smileycry:

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

EVC mode is not needed when the CPU generations on the server is the same.

Adding your host to the cluster will work then.

It's not considered best practice though, to add servers to a cluster with a mixed hardware config. A possible problem might be the HA Admission control settings for example. If you configure a number of reserverd failover hosts, you might run into problems when your hosts don't match each other. Here you should define the failover capacity in percentage.

Tim