VMware Cloud Community
Kelvin201807
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

About vmxnet3

Hi buddies,

The upper limit of vmxnet3 is 10GB in practice? if vmware can support higher performance?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VM will show the bandwidth as 10 GBps. However, the actual bandwidth will depend on your uplink speed. A physical CentOS or a Windows installation might show it as 40 GBps but, not the VMs. You will have to perform a bandwidth test to see how much you are getting in actual.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Virtual NICs are just passthru. Depends on the bandwidth of your physical uplinks. Assuming you have a practical bandwidth of 1 Gbps, question is whether your storage is able to support such high network load.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
Kelvin201807
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi SupreetK,

I add network controll type vmxnet3 when setting up guest OS . When login the guest OS, please check the screenshot, its speed is 10000Mb/s (10Gb/s).

Just want to confirm even if my physical NIC on the esci box is 40Gb/s, the speed of the vmxnet3 show below is still 10Gb/s, while its actual speed will be much higher than 10Gb/s (close to 40Gb/s)?

Appreicate your advice.

20180725_174116.jpg

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VM will show the bandwidth as 10 GBps. However, the actual bandwidth will depend on your uplink speed. A physical CentOS or a Windows installation might show it as 40 GBps but, not the VMs. You will have to perform a bandwidth test to see how much you are getting in actual.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

kindly find the following: https://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2015/04/network-improvements-vsphere-6-boost-performance-40g-ni...

Network Improvements in vSphere 6 Boost Performance for 40G NICs - VMware VROOM! Blog - VMware Blogs

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos