VMware Cloud Community
S_Zhu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A particular VM appears to be locked down to vCenter administrators

Hello all,

I have a strange question puzzling me that somehow a particular VM appears to be locked down to vCenter administrators (AD domain users).

When logging into vCenter as the administrator, the VM is visible, but all operations (Edit settings, Migration) are greyed out, and Console is all black. I have checked the admin permission is correctly applied to the VM, which the admin permission applied from higher (Data Center) level.

If I log on to the ESXi host that the VM is running on with Root credential, all VM operations works.

The VM is functional correctly, I can RDP to it without issue, and the VM is not locked up or anything like that.

Is there anyway we can reapply/fix the administrator access to the VM?

Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mars0077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Is the Administrator account local or domain level? Also, it is assumed that there are other VM's that the ESX host is hosting that vCenter can manage, right?

What I would do is change your view to "VM and Templates" and check if there are any permissions being applied to that VM at the folder level. The other thing I would do is shutdown the VM, unregister it and re-register it using vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mars0077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Is the Administrator account local or domain level? Also, it is assumed that there are other VM's that the ESX host is hosting that vCenter can manage, right?

What I would do is change your view to "VM and Templates" and check if there are any permissions being applied to that VM at the folder level. The other thing I would do is shutdown the VM, unregister it and re-register it using vCenter.

0 Kudos
S_Zhu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Logged into vCenter with the service account, and unregister it and re-register the VM, all access permissions restored now. Thank you!

Still strange why it happened this way.

0 Kudos