VMware Cloud Community
AlexNiko2016
Contributor
Contributor

A VMware Tools implementation is installed on the guest operating system, but it is not managed by VMware.

Hello!

I have installed VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 9298722 on HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8. Vcenter version - 6.7.0.41000.

Any vm's that Guest managed vmtools installed has information in vcenter (A VMware Tools implementation is installed on the guest operating system, but it is not managed by VMware.) But in ESXi GUI all looks fine. I found nothing about how to fix it. Can anybody help?

P.S. Same story on VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 7967591- UCSC-C220-M3S

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not quite understanding what you're saying here:

Any vm's that Guest managed vmtools installed has information in vcenter (A VMware Tools implementation is installed on the guest operating system, but it is not managed by VMware.)

Are you saying you see this message if, for example, you manually install VMware tools on a Windows VM initiated through vCenter? Need some clarification.

0 Kudos
AlexNiko2016
Contributor
Contributor

I have no problems with any windows. All work perfect. Problem on Linux (Ubuntu 18) and Cisco vm's (ISE 2.6, CUCM 12.5 etc)

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're installing open-vm-tools and not the TAR tools, this is correct and there's nothing to fix.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Some of the cisco vms shouldn't have tools installed, and may not be setup to do so. I'd check with their support to confirm that they can have tools installed./

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

Rhel 7.x, ubuntu 18.x comes with open-vm-tools by default. So Vmware tools (Guest Managed) is expected.

VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search

0 Kudos
jcv365
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Linux vmtools interactively by using the below doc

Performing an Automatic Upgrade of VMware Tools

Select Automatic Tools Upgrade.

(Optional) In the Advanced Options text box, enter advanced options for the guest operating system.

Option

Action

Microsoft Windows Guest Operating Systems

Enter /s /v "/qn" /l "Microsoft_Windows_location\filename.log" to perform a silent upgrade of VMware Tools and create a log file in the specified location on the guest operating system.

Linux Guest Operating Systems

Enter --default to perform the default behavior. Perform a silent upgrade of VMware Tools. Install tools bin, lib and doc files in the default /usr directory.

Enter --prefix=binary_location,lib_location,doc_location to perform a silent upgrade of VMware Tools and install the binary, library, and document files in the specified locations.

0 Kudos