VMware Cloud Community
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

60 day snapshot - vmware platform

Hello everyone

I have the following question, validating the vcenter of one of my clients, download a report with vrealize operation manager and select the snapshot item to visualize it in the report.

it turns out that there are three vm of production that have snapshot of 58 days (2 VM) and another of 22 days, which is critical for storage, as they are production machines, I want to be careful before eliminating the snapshot, since it is all writing about that disc.

Could I eliminate the snapshot and had a problem ?, as they have more 58 days.

You can also try to enter the host, create a folder in the datastore and move the snapshot to see if it allows it.

In the same way I want to hear suggestions. regards..

ju
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

A snashot's age doesn't really matter, it's more about its size, whether the base virtual disk has been thin, or thick provisioned, and the free disk space on the datastore.

please provide some details to see whether the snapshot can be easily deleted.

• the free disk space on the datastore
  • the output of ls -lisa from the VM's folder

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

at least the vm of print server has as use of the 20.97 GB disk and is in a datastore that has 4 TB of capacity and has 1.72 TB of free space.

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case you shouldn't experience any issues with deleting the snapshot(s) from the Snapshot Manager.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to validate if those servers are backed up.

would it be a good practice to turn off the vm and eliminate the snapshot?

or I do it with the vm on, as it usually is.

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There's no need to shutdown the VM.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

the servers if they are with backup,

What I will do is turn off the vm and eliminate the snapshot. of each of the servers.

additional one of the servers is the vRealize Operation Manager appliance that is the one that has the snapshot for more than 60 days, can I turn off the server and eliminate the snapshot without problems and when turning on the vm it will go on without problems?

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you can afford the downtime, go ahead and shut down the VMs.

However, as mentioned before, there's absolutely no need to do this. Simply open the Snapshot Manager, hit "Delete All", and wait for the job to complete.

André

0 Kudos