VMware Cloud Community
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6 esx hosts zoning lun

hello,

we have 6 esx host with 2 hbas each.2 brocade 300 fc switches and on hus 110 with raid 5 7+1.!

from the scenario i need only one datastore for vms or maybe another 2.

in the storage array i will add the luns in one port and then i will zone each esx with this port combining the 2 fc switches?

or should i make another raid group or lun at the other storage port?

is there a diagram?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You will have to create 4 zones per host, two on each FC switch, so a total of 24 zones for your 6 hosts with one storage.

Edit: did a quick and dirty "drawing". Take a look at the attached jpg. When you start at the storage, there are 4 possible ways to reach each server, that are your needed zones.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PramodKhalate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

chek below diagram it could be help you..

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esxi-installable-vcenter/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.esxi_server_confi...

Thanks

Pramod..

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok this but i should make one raid 5 group 7+1 with 2 or 3 volumes.i need only lun for vms and mybe in future i will use another 3.or do i have to split the raid group in 2 3+1.

and the volume that i create from the raid should be 'connected' at the two sp in storage arrays?as active passive or active active?

0 Kudos
PramodKhalate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As best prastice you should have to create only one RAID Group RAID 5 or RAID 1+0 with your all volumes, then you can create LUN whatever size you want.

RAID Group should be connected at the two Storage Processor in Storage Arrays as Active Active or Active Passive

Thanks..

Pramod

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so first i create the raid group raid 5 7+1.

the raid group is connected to sp or the volumes or luns i am creating?

then how many luns can i create as best practice for vms.is it good 2 luns and then i i have in each lun(datastore) 8-10 vms.

or one lun with all vms there.?

0 Kudos
PramodKhalate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

so first i create the raid group raid 5 7+1.

the raid group is connected to sp or the volumes or luns i am creating?

Your RAID Group / LUNS Should be connected to Both Storage Processor via Zoning.

then how many luns can i create as best practice for vms.is it good 2 luns and then i i have in each lun(datastore) 8-10 vms.

or one lun with all vms there.?

Its totally depend on your requirement. How much VMDK size you are allocating to VM Guets ? is there any additonal disk you are adding to VM Guests ? 1 or 2 TB is enough for 8 to 10 VMS.

Thanks

Pramod

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have 6 esx host with 2 hbas each.

each hba connected in different fc switch.with zoning each hba see the 2 sp.so i will create 12 zones ?

0 Kudos
PramodKhalate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you'll have to create only 4 Zones for your 6 hosts.

HBA0 to storage processor SPA0
HBA0 to storage processor SPB1
HBA1 to storage processor SPA1
HBA1 to storage processor SPB0

Let other guys to confirm if i 'm worng..

Thanks

Pramod

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You will have to create 4 zones per host, two on each FC switch, so a total of 24 zones for your 6 hosts with one storage.

Edit: did a quick and dirty "drawing". Take a look at the attached jpg. When you start at the storage, there are 4 possible ways to reach each server, that are your needed zones.

Regards

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can i create for each hba one zone with 1 fc switch but in the same zone the 2 sp from storage array.single to multi ports in array!?

or is better each hba in each fc switch with 1 sp and the same hba with the other sp?

is there a big difference with this?

0 Kudos
PramodKhalate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks schepp for correting me..  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You *can* do what you are suggesting (this is called multi-target zoning), but its *safer* and generally recommended to do zones with only a single initiator and a single target.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos