VMware Cloud Community
blde123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6.5U2c to 6.7U1 Pre-Upgrade Check Failed

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my vcsa from 6.5U2c (6.5.0.23100) to 6.7U1 but the pre-upgrade checks always fail.

The error I get is "Cannot validate target appliance configuration as not enough information from the source appliance can be collected. For more details check out the server logs"

I have tried deleting the new appliance and restarting the upgrade process and I have found this previous thread but that didn't help in my case.

This appliance was upgraded previously from 5.5 rather than being a fresh install.

I have attached the logs which I hope will provide some clues.

I'm just not sure where to look next

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

U2 is not the same as U2c. This note says U2 is supported, but anything after U2 (as in U2[a-d]) is NOT supported. Although release notes for U2d say this, anything post U2 is also unsupported and they haven't updated them. See also Under the Hood - vSphere 6.7 Update 1 - VMware vSphere Blog

View solution in original post

15 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no supported path from anything post 6.5 U2 to 6.7 U1 at this time. You will either have to deploy a new vCSA or wait until a later version opens up that path.

0 Kudos
blde123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi daphnissov,

Thanks for your quick response.

On this page, it states "It’s not supported to upgrade from 6.5 U2 to 6.7! It will be provided in a future release! With vSphere 6.7 Update 1 (not available yet) it’s possible to upgrade from vSphere 6.5 U2 to vSphere 6.7 U1."

And this page clearly states that there is an upgrade path.  I just cannot get it to work.

6.7 U1 was not available at the time of writing, but it is now, and I'm want to upgrade to that and it states that it is possible.

Have I missed something?  I could not find anything official from VMware that states that the upgrade path is not available.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Look at the release notes for 6.5 U2 here.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
blde123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

That states that upgrades from 6.5u2 to 6.7u1 ARE supported, but earlier you said it's not?

I'm sorry, but I am now very confused

edit:

I think I may have confused you with my reply - i edited it while writing it..

The line "6.7 U1 was not available at the time of writing, but it is now, and I'm want to upgrade to that and it states that it is possible." should have been further up as it was referring to the previous paragraph.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

U2 is not the same as U2c. This note says U2 is supported, but anything after U2 (as in U2[a-d]) is NOT supported. Although release notes for U2d say this, anything post U2 is also unsupported and they haven't updated them. See also Under the Hood - vSphere 6.7 Update 1 - VMware vSphere Blog

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Actually, hang on, although d is not supported, I'm being told now (which differed from earlier messages) that [a-c] are actually supported to go to 6.7U1.

blde123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have just re-examined my build number (6.5.0.23100 Build Number 11347054) and compared it here

I actually have 6.5U2e !!

It's not supported, nuts!

So what is my best option?  My boss wants this VC to have 6.7u1 (as it would match our production environment).

Would this be the best procedure?

• Backup the 6.5U2e
  • Deploy new VCSA 6.7U1
  • Restore the previous backup to the new VCSA

I will mark your previous answer as correct.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no config backup/restore option in the way you envision. You basically have two options as I think I outlined earlier:

1. Wait until a later revision of 6.7 U1 becomes available which may open up this as an upgrade path.
  2. Deploy a net new vCSA on 6.7 U1 and perform a swing migration as I outline here.
0 Kudos
blde123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've just seen that they released 6.7U1a yesterday (6.5U2e was also released yesterday)

I'll take a look at the release notes for that, but otherwise, I guess I'll wait till the next version of 6.7 (probably U2).

Thanks for all your assistance with this.

0 Kudos
Mayree
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great information really useful.
0 Kudos
palonso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi blde123,

It's not possible to backup a vCSA and restore into another one. If you restore, you always need to restore to the same vCSA. Otherwise is not supported.

As a reply to your other comment, the reason why is not possible to go from vCenter Server 6.5 U2e 2018-12-20 11347054 to vCenter Appliance 6.7 U1 (6.7.0.20000) 2018-10-16 10244745 is because it's a "back-in time" version. Look at the build dates for each.

Anyway, as you stated, it has been just released vCenter Appliance 6.7 U1a 2018-12-20 11338176, so is a supported upgrade path for you. Please see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2143838 for the versions and https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/rn/vcenter-server-appliance-photonos-security-patches.... for the release notes

Best regards,

Pablo

0 Kudos
Umby
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hey Alonso,

Where does VMware say that it is ok to upgrade from 6.5 U2e to 6.7 U1a? I know these two releases came out on the same day (Dec 20, 2018) but it it ok to upgrade between 6.5 U2e and 6.7 U1a? Thanks Alonso!

Regards,

Jeff Umbarger

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
SolidParkMagnus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anyone know when vCenter Server Appliance 6.7 U1a can be downloaded?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
jmroth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The important part is probably this:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos