VMware Cloud Community
yannbizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

6.0 > 6.7 fails at starting Identity Service

Relevant exception is as follows. You will notice that for some reason the URL has a newline character after the host name, visible on the first line in the arguments, and on line 12 as well.

How is it passed to vmidentity-firstboot.py and how can I fix it?

2018-10-07T16:10:02.506Z  Running command: ['/usr/java/jre-vmware/bin/java', '-cp', '/opt/vmware/lib64/*:/usr/lib/vmware-sso/commonlib/*:.:*', '-Dlog4j.configuration=initls-log4j.properties', '-Dvmware.log.dir=/var/log/vmware/sso/', '-XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/vmware/sso/hs_err_stsinstaller_pid%p.log-XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/vmware/sso/', 'com.vmware.vim.lookup.tools.InitializeLookupService', '--cert-path', '/etc/vmware-sso/keys/machine.crt', '--host-name', '10.65.180.7\n', '--http-port', '443']

2018-10-07T16:10:04.847Z  Done running command

2018-10-07T16:10:04.848Z  >>>>stderr:

2018-10-07T16:10:04.848Z  Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Xms32M -Xmx128M

SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.

SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/opt/vmware/lib64/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]

SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/opt/vmware/lib64/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]

SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.

SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerFactory]

Failed to initialize lookup service: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal character in authority at index 8: https://10.65.180.7

/sts/STSService/vsphere.local

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal character in authority at index 8: https://10.65.180.7

at java.net.URI.create(URI.java:852)

at com.vmware.vim.lookup.tools.InitializeLookupService.createURI(InitializeLookupService.java:373)

at com.vmware.vim.lookup.tools.InitializeLookupService.createServiceEndpoint(InitializeLookupService.java:300)

at com.vmware.vim.lookup.tools.InitializeLookupService.createServiceEndpointList(InitializeLookupService.java:311)

at com.vmware.vim.lookup.tools.InitializeLookupService.createNewLookupService(InitializeLookupService.java:342)

at com.vmware.vim.lookup.tools.InitializeLookupService.main(InitializeLookupService.java:150)

Caused by: java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in authority at index 8: https://10.65.180.7

at java.net.URI$Parser.fail(URI.java:2848)

at java.net.URI$Parser.parseAuthority(URI.java:3186)

at java.net.URI$Parser.parseHierarchical(URI.java:3097)

at java.net.URI$Parser.parse(URI.java:3053)

at java.net.URI.<init>(URI.java:588)

at java.net.URI.create(URI.java:850)

... 5 more

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you execute the attached python script on the source vCSA and share the output? If you place the script under /tmp, the command would be <python /tmp/Test_Script.py>. Hope you have already taken a snapshot of the vCenter appliance. If not, this is the time.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Looks like there is an additional character in the SSO name. Can you share the output of the commands <cat /etc/vmware-sso/hostname.txt> and <file /etc/vmware-sso/hostname.txt>?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
yannbizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for helping.

I'm doing this on the source VM as I scratched the destination VM to retry.

It doesn't look like there is additional characters here.

prod_vcenter6:~ # cat /etc/vmware-sso/hostname.txt

prod_vcenter6:~ # file /etc/vmware-sso/hostname.txt

/etc/vmware-sso/hostname.txt: ASCII text

0 Kudos
yannbizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On the destination VM these files don't exists

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you execute the attached python script on the source vCSA and share the output? If you place the script under /tmp, the command would be <python /tmp/Test_Script.py>. Hope you have already taken a snapshot of the vCenter appliance. If not, this is the time.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
yannbizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now, that's interesting :

^10.65.180.7

^

And of course hexdump confirms this :

vcenter:~ # cat /etc/vmware-sso/hostname.txt |hexdump -C

00000000  31 30 2e 36 35 2e 31 38  30 2e 37 0a              |10.65.180.7.|

0000000c

Damn it... I though I made sure already but I guess I wasn't on the right VM or the wrong file.

Let me fix the file and try again.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Cool! Attached is a script that will help you fix the file. Once it is fixed, running the file command should report something like '... ASCII text, with no line terminators'. Once this shows up, retry the upgrade and let me know.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

yannbizeul​ Any update on this? Did the upgrade work after fixing the file?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
yannbizeul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Gurpreet,

Yes, I was able to finish the upgrade this morning.

I got really lucky because during my investigations I decided to upgrade to the latest 6.0, and It happens you cannot upgrade latest 6.0 to 6.5 or 6.7, something related to a PostgreSQL security fix.

So I rolled back to the original 6.0 version I had in a snapshot, and then ran the upgrade after fixing the file.

Everything is good now! Thanks