VMware Cloud Community
fzilz
Contributor
Contributor

5.5 simple install database password

I have installed VCenter 5.5 using simple install.   Following the successful install of vcenter but before making any changes, I used the SSL Certificate updater tool to create new certs based on my windows CA.  Everything went great until I got to the step of updating the vCenter SSL .  It asks for the vCenter Server original database password.   Since the simple install installs SQL express and does not ask for a user or password, I am lost as to which password this would be.   I am logged into the vcenter server as a domain admin - would it be this password?  I know the SSO administrator and its password which is the same as the vCenter administrator and password.  Would it be this accounts password?   

I would just try it and see, except that the SSL cert updater tool does not check the validity of the password and if I select incorrectly i will need to undo the mess it causes.   Does anyone know when doing a simple install with all roles on one windows server and using the SQL express installation, what password is used for the database?

I look forward to your advice.

Fred Zilz

5 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

By Default the SQLEXPRESS installation uses Windows Authentication. in the management studio on the security-tab of the server properties you can select "SQL Server and Windows Authentication" ONLY THEN The 'sa' account is accepted. You probably have to set/reset the password for this account if you can't remember you entered it.

Best regards

Yours, Oscar

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Do we really need to use the "sa"account? For the orignal query, wouldnt entering the domain admin password suffice(assuming this is what was used to install VC)?

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

SQL Express supports *only* windows authentication. You cannot access the database with "sa".

0 Kudos
duke748
Contributor
Contributor

vpxd.exe -p is your friend here.. Smiley Happy It should be under the VMware\Infrastructure folder

-Ben

MoanaT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This solution has working fine for me.

Change DB Password with vpxd.exe -p

Thx duke748

0 Kudos