VMware Cloud Community
dboiler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

5.0 to 5.1 SQL Question

I am attempting to upgrade my vCenter from 5.0 to 5.1. We currently run the embedded SQL Express database but because we anticipate going well beyond 60 VMs on our 4 hosts, I installed SQL 2008 Standard to use. However, before I continue with the upgrade to 5.1, I would like to know what issues I will run into by using a different database from my current configuration. We have some VMs we're using on the 5.0 system that I would not want to lose. I just don't know what consequences there are with changing databases during the upgrade.

Thanks,

Dave

18 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First I would sugges to migrate the vCenter database to SQL 2008 standard and then proceed with the upgrade

Check Migrating the vCenter Server database from SQL Express 2005 to SQL Server 2008 to know how to move the database

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
Tree_Dude
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah definitely migrate the DB and make sure that is working well before doing the upgrade. Are you installing the full SQL over the express installation? I am not sure you will gain much unless you break the DB onto a different VM or a physical SQL server. I can say we have 6 hosts and 60 VMs with no performance issues using express. I did have to increase the memory on my vCenter after upgrading to 5.1 though as the new web client is quite RAM hungry.

0 Kudos
dboiler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am trying to perform the migration but keep getting the error

"The specified user does not have sufficient privileges." I have done everything I know and followed the Installation and Setup Guide but still keep getting that message when I try to run the first part of the upgrade, Single Server Sign On.

I was told tha running 60 or more VMs over 4 hosts is probably pushing the limit for SQL Express. That is why I want to go to SQL 2008 Standard.

Dave

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From vSphere 5.1 Release notes

"

• Insufficient privileges error occurs when you use manually created DB2 database users
    When you install vCenter Single Sign On and the installer requests  Single Sign On database information for existing databases, you can  select the Use manually created DB users check box. If you are using a DB2 database and have manually created users with the rsaIMSLiteDB2SetupUsers.sql script, you might receive an error that the database users do not have sufficient privileges.

Workaround: The rsaIMSLiteDB2SetupUsers.sql script, which is located in the <installation directory>\Single Sign On\DBScripts\SSOServer\schema\db2 directory, does not include two of the required privileges. If you use  the script to manually create users, edit the script to include the  following privileges:
    GRANT DBADM ON DATABASE TO USER RSA_DBA;
    GRANT CREATETAB ON DATABASE TO USER RSA_USER;

"

More info here

0 Kudos
dboiler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm using SQL but found a privilege not set.

0 Kudos
dboiler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue now is I keep getting:

Error 29119. Required tablespaces missing.

And, yes, I run the script rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupTablespaces to initially create the database but then I do a restore from the SQL Express backup that I had created. So when running the install from the start it then gives me this error but if I run the tablespace script again, it errors because the database is already created.

I tried manually sizing the files according to the script but it still errors.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do hope that you must have seen this

"Ensure that the table spaces are named RSA_DATA and RSA_INDEX. Any other table space names cause the vCenter Single Sign-On installation to fail. These table spaces are case sensitive and should be uppercase. The error below may be reported if lowercase is used:

Error 29119, Required Tablespaces missing during the installation of vCenter Single Sign On."

0 Kudos
rjahuja
Contributor
Contributor

did you ever figure this out if yes what was the privilege not set?

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope that you have migrated database from Express to SQL2008 Standard.Now you have to use this database as a custom database for Single sign On so you have to create tablespaces manually for single sign on.I  believe that you want to upgrade VC from 5.0 to 5.1 but there is no single sign on in 5.0 so first you have to create DB,table space and users for single sign on. provide proper privileges to both users then proceed single sign on installation.

Thanks,

Atul

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
rjahuja
Contributor
Contributor

Atul,

this is a fresh install of SSO server,

i have Confiured the SSO DB with appropiraite Permissions

the issue i have is When i try to configure SSO to use JDBC , "it errors out at the specified user doesnot have sufficient priviliges",

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You mean to say that you have created tablespace using the script rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupTablespaces.sql and also you have created two users "RSA_USER", RSA_DBA" using this script rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupUsers.sql.You have have executed both the scripts properly then you should not get this error.Could you cross check both scripts are executed successfully or not ? If your problem is not getting resolved , then do one thing Drop the database "DROP DATABASE RSA" and delete the both table sapces "RSA_INDEX" and RSA_DATA".Also drop the both users (Script file is there for doping the users use the same).Once Everything is done then make the changes on the both script files (rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupTablespaces.sql and rsaIMSLiteMSSQLSetupUsers.sql) according to the instruction. I hope It would work fine.

Thanks,

Atul

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
rjahuja
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that already tried every possible thing  i can think of ..i am blanked out.. not sure if this is a SQL version issue i am running 10.0.160.22 ,

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think You are making a mistake "RSA_DBA" is used for RSA_USER nad RSA_USER is used for "RSA_DBA" in your case i have seen it in your screenshot. please change it if it is not correct or intentionally you did it then ok.

TechMom20111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That was my problem.  I had  the accounts transposed. Thanks Atul_gen.

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi TechMom,

Did you problem resolve ?

0 Kudos
TechMom20111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes indeed. I had my accounts backward. I read your reply and noticed my mistake.

rsa_transposed.jpg

escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same issue RSA_USER and RSA_DBA inverted

thanks

Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If this problem is resolved, then please mark it answered.

0 Kudos