VMware Cloud Community
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

4.1 to 5.1 Upgrade - SQL 2008 Std or R2?

Hi,

Am looking to upgrade my companies vCenter 4.1 installation to 5.1 so I have been replicting my environment on an isolated test lab so I can see how it goes.

Currently I have vCenter Server running on a Windows 2003 R2 64bit VM with SQL Server Standard 2008 as the database.

When I tried a test upgrade it went OK, but I noticed in the upgrade guide and on the compatability site that SQL Standard 2008 is not shown as supported, with only 2008 Standard R2 being supported, but for me it seemed to work?  Would it be worth me upgrading to R2 Standard before I attempt the 5.1 upgrade and if so is there anything specific I need to do or is it just running the R2 upgrade wizard?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

To make sure you have no isssues I would go with the supported database - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  Yeah I concur, I was just wondering though if 2008 Standard is not supported and its just limited to R2 now?  Have found items in the past which didn't show up on the compatability list as supported but we had things running without realizing this was the case without problems.

Has anyone done an upgrade from 2008 Standard to R2?  I guess its just follow the upgrade wizard so there wouldn't be any specific VMware scripts to update the database schema from 2008 STD to R2?

0 Kudos