VMware Cloud Community
ozydave
Contributor
Contributor

4.0 to 5.1 virtual

Currently we have vCenter 4.0, the 2 hosts are esxi 4.0 The vCenter is on 32 bit 2003 physical server.

Where I want to get to is have vCenter 5.1 virtualised on server 2008 (64 bit)

Think I might be making a bit of a meal of this (probably not being fully confident what I am doing L)

I have read lots of guides before anyone shouts at me.

What I have done / tried so far is

Create a new 64bit 2008 virtual server then used the data migration tool this got me to vcenter 5.0 (Should add that the new virtual server has a different IP and name). All seems fine. Shout down the physical server, started the new virtual and I can see the hosts as normal. Data migration tool done the job. I then tried to update to vcenter 5.1 during the install all sort of messages came up. I clicked through as far as I dare but ended the installation. I guess the various messages were to do with the data migration and having a new server name and IP address.

With only 2 hosts there has not been any configuration changes since it was installed in 2009, no resource pools etc.

I am thinking I would just be better off creating a new 64bit vCenter installing 5.1

Can I just disconnect the hosts from the old vcenter and add them to the new vCeneter. If it all goes wrong would it just be a matter of re attaching the hosts back to the old vcenter?

This is a production environment, any thought would be great

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert

if you have only 2 hosts... and few vm... then just intall the new vcenter and then add the esxi hosts..to the new vcenter, in old vcenter just remove the old esxi hosts.

After adding to the new vcenter, just evacuate the vms in the esxi host, and eiter upgrade or do a fresh install.

once the esxi latest, you need to format the VMFS to 3 to 5, then only you will get the all the latest VAAI features.. and other optimization in the VMFS5.

adding and disconnecting a host from vcenter wont do any harm

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
ozydave
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Thanks for the reply

Can i just check what you mean by

"After adding to the new vcenter, just evacuate the vms in the esxi host"

Do you mean migrate the vms from one host to the other and upgerade the host?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you mean migrate the vms from one host to the other and upgerade the host?

Yes vMotion the VM's to dfferent host in the cluster and then upgrade the host.

Make sure you upgrade the datastore to VMFS5 only when you have done with the upgrade of ESXi host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind