VMware Cloud Community
AurelijusDa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1/3 vCLS does not start

Under Hosts and Clusters tab I created a new cluster and added 3 physical server hosts to it.

3 vCLS were created by default. 1st vCLS added to Host 1, 2nd vCLS Host 2, 3rd vCLS to Host 3.

vCLS under Host 3 does not start and I get message:

"Failed - Feature 'cpuid.mwait' was absent, but must be present. Errors Feature 'cpuid.mwait' was absent, but must be present. Module 'FeatureCompatLate' power on failed. Failed to start the virtual machine."

Undrer VM logs it says:

Failed - Feature 'cpuid.mwait' was absent, but must be present.

Errors
  • Feature 'cpuid.mwait' was absent, but must be present.
  • Module 'FeatureCompatLate' power on failed.
  • Failed to start the virtual machine.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You cannot enable EVC with VM powered on. 

On both Supermicro hosts, can you migrate the VMs to each other and issue is only on Lenovo. Then follow the steps 

First isolate which processor is highest or latest 

Migrate VMs off of Lenovo and keep it in maintenance mode

enable EVC to SuperMicro processor level.. 

remove the Lenovo host out of maintenance and try to move a test VM on lenovo.. ensure you can migrate to and fro from that.. 

If the lenovo host processor is lowest one, then you will have problem as you need to power off all VMs to enable EVC 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1013111

thanks,

MS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I assume you might have some issues with processor or feature supporting 'cpuid.mwait'.

If the processor is latest and capable of handling  'cpuid.mwait' then I assume you might have an older BIOS. If you migrate to different host and power on, is that working? 

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
AurelijusDa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After moving vCLS VM to Host 2 - it powered on and works fine. 

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is there any difference in hardware or BIOS version or BIOS on the host 3 and host 2?

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
AurelijusDa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hosts 1 and 2 are Supermicro servers and host 3 is a Lenovo server. Now is a quarantine, so I'll check BIOS settings later. 

Is it okay that 2vCLS are runnings on one host?

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You have to enable evc..  It's not suggested to keep heterogeneous hosts in same cluster without evc 

You will encounter the issue if the hardware and processors are of different families. 

0 Kudos
AurelijusDa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EVC cannot be enabled with VMs powered on. How to add Host with vCenter to the cluster without powering it off ? Because Hosts to the cluster are added via vCenter..

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You cannot enable EVC with VM powered on. 

On both Supermicro hosts, can you migrate the VMs to each other and issue is only on Lenovo. Then follow the steps 

First isolate which processor is highest or latest 

Migrate VMs off of Lenovo and keep it in maintenance mode

enable EVC to SuperMicro processor level.. 

remove the Lenovo host out of maintenance and try to move a test VM on lenovo.. ensure you can migrate to and fro from that.. 

If the lenovo host processor is lowest one, then you will have problem as you need to power off all VMs to enable EVC 

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1013111

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMs cannot migrate between different processors. EVC is introduced for the same.

Please go through the Kb which has detailed info

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
AurelijusDa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I enable EVC on the cluster and add hosts. On one of SuperMicro hosts is EVE-NG vm. It does not start even when I create new EVE-NG vm. Error "Feature 'hv.capable' was 0, but must be at least 1." 
Problems without EVC and with EVC 😄 

0 Kudos