VMware {code} Community
tos2k
Expert
Expert

Install Agent on Linux

I get the following error message when deploying the converter agent to a linux machine:

11/12/19 04:32:24 PM: ERROR: Caught SoapException (install agent) -  Actor :  Code : ServerFaultCode Detail XML : <detail><ConverterNetworkShareConnectFaultFault xmlns="urn:converter" xsi:type="ConverterNetworkShareConnectFault" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><hostName>192.168.73.197</hostName><networkPath>192.168.73.197\ADMINmce_markerlt;/networkPath></ConverterNetworkShareConnectFaultFault></detail>
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Unable to connect to the network share '192.168.73.197\ADMIN

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at ConverterApi.ConverterService.ConverterInstallAgent(ManagedObjectReference _this, String hostname, Int32 port, Boolean portSpecified, String username, String password, Boolean postponeReboot, Boolean postponeRebootSpecified)
Any ideas? Seems that converter assumes that it is a Windows machine, but it is a linux machine.
An help?
Tos2k
0 Kudos
5 Replies
tos2k
Expert
Expert

Hi!

I am still researching this, here two findings:

- looks like Converter does NOT deploy an agent on Linux hosts, but runs commands via SSH

- The helper VM seems to require a IP address that can be assigned via DHCP or manually.

Its a shame that there is no documentation at all on that. Please share your experiences in case you have been running P2V for Linux machines using the ConverterApi/SDK.

TIA

Tos2k

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A bit late comment but... there is documentation on that. Have a look at the user's guide pp.11,12 about an overall architectire and differences between Windows and Linux P2V

Plamen

tos2k
Expert
Expert

You are right, I found those schematic views.

Do you know of any documentation on how to use ConverterApi to convert Linux physical machines?

Tos2k

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately Converter SDK is poorly documented; there is no specific documentation about Linux conversions. However, as Ivan has written, it is very similar to Windows conversion from the perspective of starting a job. Once you solve the SSH issue, I believe everything will work smoothly. As long as the Linux P2V limitations are respected, of course, e.g. no synchronization, no hosted destination, can't change volume cluster size.

Another difference from Windows P2V is LVM preservation. This is done by instructing each target virtual disk either to be a logical volume group or not. To set that prgrammatically use ConverterStorageParamsManagedTargetDiskParams's lvg property. Keep in mind the disk holding the boot partition may not be set as LVG and that preservation applies to LVM2 only.

Many of these limitation will not be enforced by the server, i.e you will be able to submit the job. So you need to be cautious.

HTH,

Plamen

JohnVUB
Contributor
Contributor

you can sign a petition towards the development of a linux agent here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/2004605#2004605

0 Kudos