VMware {code} Community
asankacgl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error while converting from Xen to vmware

Hi, I am trying to convert some Xen 6.5 VMs tovCenter Converter Standalone 6.2 (I tried using 6 and 5.5 as well). I am gettig below error after hitting next at the beginning of the conversion!

"Unable to establish a secure communication channel between the Converter server and the remote machine at x.x.x.x on port 9089. Error details: SSL Exception: error:14077102:SSL rutine:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unsuppoerted protocol

My environment is as follows

Hardware - HP Proliant 380 G5

Xenserver 6.5

ESXi 5.5

Converting VM Windows 7 (64)

Converting VM in on network 10.10.10.x/24

Converter is running on Windows 7 (64) running on ESXi 5.5

Converter server is on 192.168.11.x/24

I tried to disable SSL but unable to finde "converter-worker.xml" under C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.

Thanks and Regards

Asanka

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This means that you trying to connect components with different versions. Try to deinstall all versions from local and remote (agent) places, then install 6.2 on both places.

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Try this one Getting unsupported protocol error

Also use Converter 6.2

HTH

asankacgl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Poceh for the reply, the directory was hidden, thank you but I have end up with a different error

"A General system error occured:Unexpected element tag "converterManager" seen while parsing serialized DataObject of type converter.AgentInstanceContent, version converter.version5 at line 7, column 0 while parsing SOAP body at line 6, column 0 while parsing SOAP envelope at line 2, column 0 while parsing HTTP responce for method retrieveContent on object of type converter.ServiceInstance at line 1, column 0"

Thanks and Kind Regards

Asanka

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This means that you trying to connect components with different versions. Try to deinstall all versions from local and remote (agent) places, then install 6.2 on both places.

HTH

0 Kudos
asankacgl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes Poceh, there was an old worker installation once removed it took off

Thank you very much and kind regards

Asanka

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And by the way, the 380 G5 series does not support the version of ESXi you're running. The latest version supported with that hardware is ESXi 5.0. So if you're running this in production, I'd highly advise against it.

0 Kudos
NetxRunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try a V2V converter StarWind V2V Converter - Free Tool from StarWind!  that supports both VMware and Xen and is capable of detecting the required hypervisor version automatically. You can perform a conversion while connecting directly to the hypervisor or there is a great option to just copy the virtual machine's disk to the desired location and perform the conversion locally to avoid any possible issues.

By the way here is a great tutorial on your matter Migrating a Citrix XenServer VM to VMware - Spiceworks

0 Kudos
asankacgl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Daphnissov!

Best Regards

Asanka

0 Kudos
asankacgl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Guys for all the inputs, appreciate giving your time for me! and NextRunner, I will try sounds intersting, I jest went through the site

Kind Regards

Asanka

0 Kudos