VMware {code} Community
nri_tech1183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware 6.0: Valid license for addng Host. License decline issue.

I have this four month old setup of vmware 6.0 esxi on vmware workstation. Which was unused for past four months. I setup it for lab practice purpose at home but never got chance to use it.

Today I signed up with vmware for a free key but even that key aint working at all when in my vSphere Web Client.

Whenever I try to add Host to my existing empty Cluster at the end of the add host wizard it prompts for license key and no matter what license I put in it always throws error. No matter what license I choose it simply doesnt like it and declines.

Is there separate special license for Nodes & Clusters??

Refer to below pics.

SnapCrab_NoName_2018-4-11_1-5-14_No-00.jpg

SnapCrab_NoName_2018-4-11_1-27-47_No-00.jpg

SnapCrab_NoName_2018-4-11_1-27-51_No-00.jpg

SnapCrab_NoName_2018-4-11_1-27-54_No-00.jpg

SnapCrab_NoName_2018-4-11_1-28-24_No-00.jpg

Please help me overcome this hurdle.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nri_tech1183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So now my only way out is to completely reinstall esxi 6 back again.

But I dont want to format my server 2k16 on which vSphere & vCenter is installed. Can I keep them as is or do I need to remove them and reinstall again?

As I think the license is only for vCenter Server right or is it for host inclusive?

Following is list of licenses type so which one will I require along with the evaluation ones provided by vmware

vmware vsphere 6 hypervisor

vmware vsphere 6 desktop host

vmware vcloud suite 6 standard/ advanced

vmware vsphere 6 foundation

vmware vsphere 6 essentials

vmware vsphere 6 standard

vmware vsphere 6 enterprise

vmware vsphere 6 enterprise plus

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the error message, it's the vCenter Server Evaluation which has expired.

André

0 Kudos
nri_tech1183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But I just now obtained a fresh new key from https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

It should work right?

And we assign it via vsphere client right? And there shouldnt be any restrictions to add at least a single host.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

vCenter Server, and the hosts are licensed separately. With an expired vCenter Server license, most actions are restricted, even for properly licensed ESXi hosts..

Also note that an ESXi host with a free Hypervisor license cannot be added to, and managed by vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
nri_tech1183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So now my only way out is to completely reinstall esxi 6 back again.

But I dont want to format my server 2k16 on which vSphere & vCenter is installed. Can I keep them as is or do I need to remove them and reinstall again?

As I think the license is only for vCenter Server right or is it for host inclusive?

Following is list of licenses type so which one will I require along with the evaluation ones provided by vmware

vmware vsphere 6 hypervisor

vmware vsphere 6 desktop host

vmware vcloud suite 6 standard/ advanced

vmware vsphere 6 foundation

vmware vsphere 6 essentials

vmware vsphere 6 standard

vmware vsphere 6 enterprise

vmware vsphere 6 enterprise plus

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned, vCenter Server, and the ESXi hosts are licensed separately, and each of them either needs a valid license (other than the free Hypervisor), or has to run in evaluation mode (60-days as of installation, no license keys required). The Evaluation Mode offers all the features of vCenter Server Standard, and ESXi Enterprise Plus.

For ESXi it may be sufficient to reinstall a host with the option to preserve the VMFS datastore (on which VMs are stored). For vCenter Server, I'm afraid that uninstalling, and re-installing may not reset the evaluation period. Anyway, why don't you install the vCenter Server Appliance on one of the hosts, rather than installing the Windows based vCenter Server? The Windows version will be retired in the near future anyway.

André

0 Kudos