VMware {code} Community
luizeng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot VSphere (SAP b1 Machine)

I have the following senario, I made a snashot of a virtual server from a SAP application, an upgrade task was performed on this application, but it did not work, so I returned the snapshot that was done before maintenance, but now I get a Message of the system requesting the consolidation of the disk, I read the article and it was a little vague which the consequence of this validation, I would like support to know if I will be affects because, I need to perform the same task but I will need to take another snapshot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

when you create a snapshot, a new virtual disk (delta .vmdk) file - which stores subsequent changes - will be created. If - like in your case - you are not satisfied with an update, and revert to the snapshot, all the data in this delta/snapshot .vmdk file will be discarded, but the file itself remains. To et rid of it, you'll have to delete the snapshot (after reverting to it) in order to have a clean virtual machine configuration with no delta .vmdk files.

That said, I'm not exactly sure, why the consolidation message show up, but if the VM is running, and it is in the desired state (without the failed update), it should be ok to run the consolidation task.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

when you create a snapshot, a new virtual disk (delta .vmdk) file - which stores subsequent changes - will be created. If - like in your case - you are not satisfied with an update, and revert to the snapshot, all the data in this delta/snapshot .vmdk file will be discarded, but the file itself remains. To et rid of it, you'll have to delete the snapshot (after reverting to it) in order to have a clean virtual machine configuration with no delta .vmdk files.

That said, I'm not exactly sure, why the consolidation message show up, but if the VM is running, and it is in the desired state (without the failed update), it should be ok to run the consolidation task.

André

0 Kudos