VMware {code} Community
zackm1
Contributor
Contributor

API for Workstation Pro?

I am trying to create a Windows service in C# and .NET that will automate functions such as starting and stopping virtual machines in Workstation Pro. I was wondering what would be the best course of action to accomplish something like this? I was looking into a C# wrapper for the Vix API and saw that it had been deprecated, and it seems that the .NET API for vsphere has also been depricated. 

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

In Vimarun I do that kind of thing at the moment via VIX, it works fine and doesn't require the user to enable REST functionality first. But you are correct, it has been marked as deprecated.

For a supported API you should look at the REST API, see:
https://code.vmware.com/apis/412/vmware-workstation-pro-api

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
zackm1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply!

It seems like the REST API has somewhat limited functionality, but I will take a look at Vimarun as well. It seems that VIX may be the best solution for my specific use, even if it is deprecated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, some things are still not yet possible in REST.
Which is one of the reasons why vimarun still uses VIX, another reason is that I was able to re-use part of the code of vimalin here.
Over time however I do expect to move over to the REST API completely.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva