VMware Communities
ChrisSPL
Contributor
Contributor

xdg-open vmrc links wont open

I just uninstalled vmware workstation 16 and installed 17 on 3 linux (Pop OS) systems and noticed on one of them I can no longer open vmrc links from vsphere in Firefox, it just brings me to a page saying:

The address wasn’t understood

Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (vmrc) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

Its the same on Chrome. In both when I check handlers, vmrc doesnt show any valid programs in the list.

When I try "xdg-open vmrc:clone" in terminal, on both good systems it opens vmware player, on the system with the issue it just says:

gio: vmrc:clone: The specified location is not supported

Anyone know a way to resolve this? Ive uninstalled, cleared out the preference folders, reinstalled, tried uninstalling and installing the older version, same for just installing vmware player stand alone, all no longer seem to work with xdg-open (which I assume the browsers are using to list applications).

VMWare Workstation and Player open fine when launched directly if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
0 Replies