VMware Communities
bclements
Contributor
Contributor

ws 6.5.1 ungrab only works when administrator logged in guest, not as regular user

I've been running ws 6.0 on ubuntu 7.10 for more than a year and it's great.

Today I upgraded to WS 6.5.1 build-126130, upgraded vmware tools and now I find that the 'ungrab when cursor leaves the window' only works when I am logged into the guest as administrator.

If I am logged in as a regular user, I have to press ctrl-alt to ungrab. This is very frustrating.

I have tried un-installing, then re-installing vmware tools (with reboots every time), That didn't help.

The guest has vmware tools version 7.8.4 build-126130

The host is 2.6.22-16-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Nov 24 19:03:10 GMT 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My only guest is Windows XP SP2

I am using ion3 as my linux windows manager

the 'regular user' I login to the guest as does not have administrative rights. I can see that vmware tools is running, and during the login process the workstation statusbar changes from 'to return to your computer press ctrl-alt' to '.. move the mouse pointer outside or press ctrl-alt'

when logged in as administrator, OR the regular user, I doubled checked my ws preferences / input, 'ungrab when cursor leaves window' is checked in both cases.

Ungrab works as expected when no-one is logged into the guest (that is, the login prompt is showing).

It seems that when vmware tools starts up, it confuses ws 6.5.1 in some way, but only when running as non-admin.

VMCI is not enabled.

I did upgrade the hardware in my guest to ws 6.5

Any ideas?

Also, unity doesn't work at all with ion3, so I can't use that. I was really hoping it would work.. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bclements
Contributor
Contributor

Suddenly, it is working now. I changed nothing, just went away and tried it 30 minutes later, now it's working.

0 Kudos
bclements
Contributor
Contributor

After a few days it's clear to me that 95% of the time ungrab by moving the mouse does NOT work after all.

This question is not answered.

0 Kudos
steve_eos
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem on a Windows Vista Business host with a Windows XP Pro guest.

Ironically, Ungrab works before I upgrade the Tools in the image to 6.5, but not afterward.

0 Kudos
d98rolb
Contributor
Contributor

This kind of thing make me crazy!

I revert from version 6.5.1 to 6.0.5 just because of this detail

Regards Roland

0 Kudos
tkleeburg
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having this problem.

With kubuntu 8.10

0 Kudos
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

what u can do is uninsatll and reinsatll the new version dont go for upgrades ,

ragards

Joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hii steve

try to uninsatll vmware wks and reinstall with new version ,dont go for upgrade path

regards

Joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am also having this problem.

With kubuntu 8.10

Make sure you have vmmouse package installed in Kubuntu (or any linux) guest.

Use Synaptics Package Manager and search All for vmmouse and install it.

Log out, and back in (to get the x server to restart) and problem solved.

Worst case is you might have to check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make sure its using vmmouse

as the mouse driver, but I didn't have to touch a thing in there once the package was installed.

I looked all over the web for this and only stumbled upon it by accident.

Google spider bait:

trapped cursor stuck ungrab fails ctrl-alt

0 Kudos