VMware Communities
stardotstar
Contributor
Contributor

would my guest WinXP see an ExpressCard/34 device?

Needing to look at doing a wireless broadband solution for work roaming.

I run Workstation on a Macbook Pro Mactel notebook running a Gentoo Host.

Everything works sweet, but I wonder if I get a $300 air card will the guest "see" it or would it have to be configured to work in the host and use NAT to access the adapter?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am also interested in the answer to this question. The answer may also depend on what version of Workstation that you are using...

0 Kudos
saxa
Expert
Expert

Well, the Workstation can't see the device as such. But, you can connect your guests to a virtual bridge which will be using this card.

300$ for the network card... Oh...

0 Kudos
jwramseyjr
Contributor
Contributor

YUP. That's what I do.

I run OpenSUSE 10.2 host and XP Pro guest. On the host, the wired network is eth0 and the wireless one is eth1 (Intel ipw3945). I have 2 bridged networks configured, vmnet0 and vmnet2 (I believe).

Inside the guest there may be a little confusion, but in the "Network Connections" window I can disable one and enable the other and everything works great.

This isn't a slick solution where everything automagically fails over from wired to wireless and back, but it works.

0 Kudos
stardotstar
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 5.5.4 build-44386

I have been using the NAT and Bridge successfully for my wired eth0 and wireless ath0 cards but I am not entirely sure that the expresscard/34 adapter will be correctly detected or able to be fully configured under the linux host and therefore unable to be bridged or NATted to...

Now that I think of it in this context it would seem that even the USB adapter may not work since all the networking in Workstation is via the networking setup with the host and perhaps I can't use a direct hardware adapter in the guest even if it is a detected USB device?

can someone see the difficulty I have here? Sorry its not exactly a workstation question and the clarification that vmware wont 'see' the hardware is of course correct and I should have thought about it that way.

issue then is - can i get the expresscard wireless broadband device to work under linux (supported on mac osx but not linux of course Smiley Wink OR will the guest be able to use the usb version - that would seem to depend on whether vmware can accomodate direct network adapter configuration via USB which I;m sure it will see but may not work as expected.

0 Kudos