VMware Communities
StephenH0
Contributor
Contributor

workstation unresponsive when VSS is running?

I am running WS 7.0.1 on Windows 7 x64. My vm disks are on drive d. Occasionally WS will get unresponsive. When I checked the event logs, I see something like

Volume Shadow Copy Error: VSS spent more than 120 seconds trying to open and flush all the volumes in the shadow- copy set. This caused volume
?\Volume{some guid}\ to timeout waiting for the hold-writes phase of shadow-copy creation. Trying again when disk activity is lower may solve this problem.

Another interesting thing is I have turned off System Restore/Protection on all drives so I don't understandwhy VSS is still running. Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You have to disable the VSS per partition and you can disable the service.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>
?\Volume{some guid}

FWIIW: running mountvol from a command prompt will show you all volume ID's and their mount points.

Note that most backup programs, including restore points, now use volume shadow copy services (VSS).

Lou

0 Kudos
StephenH0
Contributor
Contributor

I checked the volume guids in the event log message and they are indicating drive c and d. Both Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services are set to Manual but they ARE started and running upon cold boot of my computer. When I ran cmd "vssadmin list shadowstorage", it clearly shows 0 B storage on all volumes. This is so weird.

0 Kudos