VMware Communities
jbankstonga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

workstation pro v12.1.1 doesn't show recently opened guest VMs after upgrade to v12.1.1

Running an Ubuntu 14.04 x64 host and workstation v12.1 was working perfectly fine. After the upgrade patch to 12.1.1 (notice the minor dot release) none of Workstation nor Player remembers the recently opened guest VMs. All VMs run fine once I go hunt them down and opened them in player or workstation.

Do I need to back-drop and reinstall from my original .bundle and just not upgrade anymore?

Thanks, Jeff

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jbankstonga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

after tons of googling, my Google-Fu finally turned up the issue. It seems that the file

/home/<username>/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

has the entry for each guest vm removed when that guest vm is shut down and exited. In workstation 12.1, this behavior wasn't seen. The workaround was to go to player and open (but not start up) all guest vm machines so that this file gets fully populated. When I get to the last vm opened up in player (again, not started up yet) I made a copy of that .xbel file and stored it elsewhere. Then I created a cron job that every 5 minutes copies my saved file over the file above, and also set the command

cp recently-used.xbel.txt recently-used.xbel

in my login profile and have it copied as soon as I login. So either way, the history is saved and at least handled for now.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So after upgrading to Workstation 12.1.1, your VM is not opened in VM library (at left) or the VM tab does not exist? How about you checked Edit->Preferences->"Remember opened tabs between sessions"?

0 Kudos
HuanguoZhong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for coming to Workstation community.

For the entries display the library area of the WS, they are saved in ~/.vmware/inventory.vmls. I've tried to upgrade from WS12.1 to WS12.1.1, this files won't be lost, and entries in the library area are still there.

0 Kudos