VMware Communities
jackbilmorph
Contributor
Contributor

workstation pro shortcuts go from vm to Linux host

The problem I'm currently having is only on a Linux host. It works properly on windows as a host OS.

My issue is that when I am in a VM on my Linux host, shortcuts like Windows+R do not work in the VM. They are grabbed by my host. I have the settings correctly setup in the Workstation preferences. "They are the same I use on a Windows host: grabbing input is setup to only a mouse click and ungbrabbing is set  to: CTRL+ALT". This is the only issue I fase when using the hypervisor on a Linux host.

My host:

Hypervisor: VMware Workstation 16 Pro

The VM

Windows 10 20H2 (up to date & vmtools installed)

I also tested the default "CTRL+ALT+INSERT" on the VM which VMware uses for "CTRL+ALT+DELETE" and that does work fine. It's only some combo's.

I switched from Windows 10 because I don't have a use for it at the moment but my setup was working when it was my host operating system. I couldn't find this problem on this page. If it is already created, can anyone please provide me a link? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vinicole
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jackbilmorph,

I don't have a solution unfortunately but I noticed the same issue with a Linux Debian 11 host.
When I try to lock my Windows 10 VM with the shortcut Windows+L, it locks my Linux host (which uses the same keyboard shortcut).

I did not experience such an issue when I was running the same version of Vmware workstation (16.2) on Linux Debian 10.
It seems we both use an not (yet?) supported host version. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80807
Could this be the reason of this issue?

Kind regards,
V

0 Kudos
jackbilmorph
Contributor
Contributor

Dear V,

Thank you for your reply. I think that your just found the issue. Unfortunately I had to go back to Windows because of school and work requirements. On the bright side the issue is not here on Windows (11). I will switch back to Linux (Fedora 36) soon and see if the problem still occurs. I hope that wayland might be of some help in some regards. Only time will tell.

Thanks again V and have a nice day.

Kind regards,

J. Bilmorph

0 Kudos
vinicole
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jack,

One more suggestion (and possible work-around):

While I experience the issue with kernel version 5.10, I noticed it doesn't occur with my laptop which runs kernel version 5.15 (backport kernel version). I still have to make some tests to fully confirm this. I will keep you posted.
You may try to upgrade your kernel version and see if it gives better results.

Kind regards,
V

0 Kudos