VMware Communities
stodola
Contributor
Contributor

workstation pro 14 upgrade from ver 12 produces blank screen when running existing VM's

Upgraded from ver 12 pro. All VM's were working fine, 14 upgrade just gives a blank vm screen now

machine is windows 10 pro, fully patched with 32 gb memory

restored host machine back to ver 12, and restored the vm also, works now

Tags (1)
49 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Host?    Workstation 14 works fine even with shared VMs in Windows (Windows Server 2016) only not at all in Linux (Debian w/ kernel 4.12)

0 Kudos
stodola
Contributor
Contributor

The host is same OS

0 Kudos
Andre-n
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

I run Windows 7 SP1

VM are running as I can perform a remote desktop.

If I click on View, console view, I can see the console but no action possible.

I have removed WK14 and clean registry, install again but change nothing

I can't create a new VM as the screen is also blank

0 Kudos
wangeryan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To anyone who hit the VM black screen issue for VMware Workstation 14:

Would you please reproduce the issue and upload the vmware-ui.log and vmware.log? The vmware-ui.log locates at %temp%vmware-$user/vmware-ui-xxxxx.log, and the vmware.log should locates in the same folder of your VM related files. Thanks very much

0 Kudos
creatx
Contributor
Contributor

See attachment.

0 Kudos
wangeryan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, creatx. And would you please also upload the vmware.log files?  -- E:\Program Files\Win7Sunten\vmware.log if the Win7Sunten VM hit the black screen issue

0 Kudos
stodola
Contributor
Contributor

Don;t have a .ui log file. Attached 3 log files

0 Kudos
creatx
Contributor
Contributor

vmware.log and vmware-ui-14248 see attachments.

0 Kudos
wangeryan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks very much for your logs, another issue i want to confirm -- What is the vmtools version did you use in your VM?

0 Kudos
Meter
Contributor
Contributor

You can try to redo the physical machine system.

my Issue : When I normally use the VM14 physics machine suddenly power failure, restart, open any virtual machine is black screen.

Reinstall VM problem exists.Reinstall the physical machine system problems disappear.

0 Kudos
creatx
Contributor
Contributor

My VMware tools's version is 10.1.6,build-5214329.

0 Kudos
stodola
Contributor
Contributor

?

0 Kudos
stodola
Contributor
Contributor

Not a realistic option.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello everyone,

Currently we cannot reproduce the issue internally. Can you please provide more information about how you use VMware Workstation?

- Are you running Workstation with non-admin user? Does "launch as administrator" help?

- Does closing VM tab and reopening again help?

0 Kudos
Maweii
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sure the guest system is running,I can hear the boot music,when I suspend it,then you will see the current screen.

0 Kudos
Maweii
Contributor
Contributor

vm.gif

0 Kudos
Andre-n
Contributor
Contributor

Running as administrator change nothing, VM is running I'm able to open a session and the console view is OK

Creating a new VM produce the same blank screen.

Looks a problem with video driver ?

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello, everyone:

If you hit the VM black screen issue when using VMware workstation 14, would you please help to append this line --

ui.log.filelevel = "trivia" in %appdata%/VMware/preferences.ini, then close and re-launch Workstation, try to reproduce the black issue and attach vmware-ui.log and vmware.log here? (location of vmware-ui.log can be found at "Help"--"About VMware Workstation", and vmware.log is under the same foler of your VM's vmx and vmdk files), thanks very much for your support

0 Kudos
Maweii
Contributor
Contributor

here is the log.

0 Kudos