VMware Communities
markdv77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

workstation 8 with win XP guest hangs ubuntu 9.10 host

HI,

I've been successfully using workstation 7.x on my ubuntu 9.10 laptop to run a windows XP machine for over a year now without any problems.

But since upgrading to workstation 8 I've experienced several hard freezes/hang of my laptop while running the VM.

The only way to recover is to power-cycle the laptop.

The laptop is on pretty much 24x7, the VM too. (At least is was before the upgrade to ws8.. Smiley Sad)

The last time it happened was last night, inspecting the system logs after restarting it this morning shows that the host just completely froze a few hours after I went to bed. No indications as to why.

It's happened while vmware was running in a window, full-screen as well as with the gui closed and the vm running in the background. Mostly while I was away from it, so I can't tell what sort of activity was going on inside the VM or on the host at the time of the hang. Although - given I wasn't using it - probably not much (on the host at least).

Anyone else experiencing similar problems/regressions after an upgrade from ws7 to ws8?

Regards, Mark.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
markdv77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seems it's the vmware gui that some how hangs my Laptop because it also happened when running vmware on a remote host over ssh X11 forwarding.

So I'm guessing that vmware is triggering a bug in Xorg and/or the video driver (nvidia) that results in the hang.

Too bad, now I have to decide whether to upgrade my laptop or downgrade vmware to 7.1...

0 Kudos