VMware Communities
louis14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

workstation 15.5 pro does not find vm's automatically

On a fresh windows 10 20H2 PC I installed first workstation 12.2 then I installed workstation 15.5 with upgrade license.

On my PC I have a copy of my Virtual Machines in the user directory: d:\Users\"user"\Documents\Virtual Machines

In preferences->workplaces I see default dir: D:\Users\"user"\Documents\Virtual Machines

After both installations: My computer vm's are empty. I must open manually each vm one after one to add them to the list in workstation.

I thought workstation would find all the vm's and add them under "my computer" automatically.

I ask it because I want to know if there is something wrong with the linking between my ssd (os installed) and hdd (d:\)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you had the VMs selected already in Workstation 12 and then upgrade to Workstation 15, it normally would show the same list of VMs as it did before in Workstation 12.

If OTOH you have never selected any VM before then that list is empty.
FWIW, starting with VMware Workstation 15.x there's an option in the File menu to "scan for VM's" in a selected folder and it will add all the VMs you have automatically.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you had the VMs selected already in Workstation 12 and then upgrade to Workstation 15, it normally would show the same list of VMs as it did before in Workstation 12.

If OTOH you have never selected any VM before then that list is empty.
FWIW, starting with VMware Workstation 15.x there's an option in the File menu to "scan for VM's" in a selected folder and it will add all the VMs you have automatically.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
louis14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila,

This is exactly the info I needed!

I've tried the scan menu option and I got all the vm's.

Thanks

0 Kudos