VMware Communities
alvaropedroni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

workstation 12.5 and nic speed problem 10GB/s

hello

i have two pc with workstation 12.5 latest version

there are bandwidth limiters on vmxnet3 nic?

on pc1 running:  windows2012r2-1

on pc2 running:  windows2012r2-2

pc1 and pc2 have nic at 10GB/s and switch is 10GB

the hd on pc1 and pc2 is ssd 600MB/s

if copy test file fron pc1 to pc2 the speed is 500MB/s (the maximum that supports ssd)

but my problem:

if copy test file using virtual machines "windows2012r2-1 to windows2012r2-2" the speed is 140MB/s    (nic is vmxnet3)

and test speed hd on  "windows2012r2-1 to windows2012r2-2" is 450MB/s (the problem is not the speed of the SSD) but the NIC

it seems as if the virtual machine is not able to transmit more than 140MB / s even if under the hardware nic have 10GB/s

thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The virtual NIC does not directly use your physical NICs.  ALL networking is done by the host CPU.  There are no limits - the speed of the link the guest sees is merely a label.

0 Kudos
alvaropedroni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks

I have verified what you said.

during copying whit virtual machine OS : the xeon processor 2630v4 arrived at 50% and now max speed is 150MB/s

during copying with host os "pc to pc" the xeon processor arrived 10% and speed il 500MB/s (max speed of ssd)

do you have any way or change configuration to improve this problem??

thanks

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I noticed you have been mentioning the words "copying" and maximum speed of SSD. It gives me the impression that you are using copying of files as a test of the 10Gbps.

Have you considered using something like "iperf" or any of its variants to test the 10Gbps network (even the physical 10Gbps NICs and switch)? After all, 500MB/s is barely 5Gbps.

0 Kudos
alvaropedroni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes use SSD for test nic 10GB

yes nic is 10GB and switch have total port to 10GB

my ssd max 500MB/s =  5GB network speed

now test iperf. thanks

0 Kudos
alvaropedroni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have use iperf3 for test

test iperf3 from  PC1 to PC2 and max speed is 8.9GB/s

test iperf3 from

virtual machine w2012r2 on PC1     to      virtual machine w2012r2 on PC2 and max speed is  1.7GB/s

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>The virtual NIC does not directly use your physical NICs.  ALL networking is done by the host CPU.

I assume by this that when the VM writes to it's virtual NIC, that it's pure software inside WS that transfer the data through the host PC and then onto it's physical NIC, i.e. the physical NIC isn't hardware virtualised directly to the VM. So given the physical NICs seem to be able to handle the 10Gbps network, the bottleneck by interference must be in the WS virtual NIC software. Not the first time that performance in the software layers have some to the surface, e.g. shared folders aren't exactly speedy.

However, in VMware's defence, Workstation is not really a production grade product and I'd be surprised if it could handle 10GB networks. One should probably be looking at VSphere or Hyper-V for industrial strength networking.

0 Kudos
alvaropedroni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did the tests and the maximum speed I get is 1.6GB / s when copy or transfert use one nic 10GB or two 10GB nic.

It seems that the workstation program does not support the network over 1.6gb / s

I found other people who have the same problem, the network does not exceed 1.6gb when use vmxnet3

I also found an article he says of configure:

bridget: connect directly to the phisical network + replicate phisical network state

but this solution use only my first nic and de-select "custom specify virtual network"

0 Kudos