EinZigeuner
Contributor
Contributor

work 7.1.4 and ubuntu 11.04 file sharing not working

a friendly hello !!!

i run work 7.1.4 385536 on win7 pro

host is either guided install kubuntu 11.04 or vmplanet ubuntu 11.04

vmware tools installed

shared folders enabled while host not running and verified while host running with vmware-hgfsclient

when i enable the shared folder while the host is up i get the following win7 error dialog

"Unable to update run-time folder sharing status: Unknown error"

anyhow ... but shared folder does not show up in /mnt/hgfs/...

also lsmod | grep vmhgfs does not produce any result either ... so i asume vmhgfs is either dead missing or whatever the righ terminology might be

nowhere anything about how to create it install it ... is it necessary ??? nothing can be found

kernel is 2.6.38

i have absolutely no idea where or what went wrong ... i read a lot about this problem but no working solution can be found so far

i also tried to install the open-source toolbox ... same results ... this provided me with gcc installed and i was able to run  vmware-tools-comfig.pl or similar, but with an error at the end where google queries didn't turn anything up other than other people encounter it as well but no solution again

so far i spent one entire day and no result ... obviously i'm not mr linux ... but this is one example why linux doesn't seem to gain too much popularity

any help is highly appreciated, cheers Klaus

MicroCraft.com@gmail.com

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EinZigeuner
Contributor
Contributor

so now i answer my own cry for help

as said i'm not mr linux

the whole scenario hinged on the success of vmware-config-tools.pl giving errors about gcc, make and maybe something else ... i can't reconstruct this resent past experience exactly, but will try to outline what i got to make it work

the guided kubuntu 11.04 install did not come with "gcc" and "make" but i assumed that gcc is installed since the pkg mgr said something like gcc-4.5-base installed ... base to me meant "gcc" should be in there and i also assumed that "make" sould be part of the compiler base install

since the generic gcc in the pkg mgr showed up as gcc and the next lines said gcc-4.4 i assumed gcc is the default for gcc-4.4 ... well after hours of banging your head against the screen this can happen

then i installed gcc-4.5 with kpackagekit

now the vmware-config-tools.pl still did not find any gcc since it's called gcc-4.5

made alias gcc to gcc-4.5 in .bashrc

this took care of the vmware-config-tools.pl not finding any reference to gcc

next hickup ... no "make" utility

kpackagekit looking for "make" and installing

now vmware-config-tools.pl complains within the makefile of not finding gcc

erased gcc alias in .bashrc and created symlink

now vmware-config-tools.pl finishes without errors and it works

my shared folder "e-drive" shows in /mnt/hgfs

and "lsmod | grep vmhgfs" shows vmhgfs

don't know if this not too technical description will help anyone ... but maybe or hopefully

cheers EinZigeuner

0 Kudos