VMware Communities
62maxwell
Contributor
Contributor

windows server 2016 on workstation pro 15x

Author :

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/15.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-0EE752F8-C159-4...

Topic Name : Using VMware Workstation Pro

Publication Name : Using VMware Workstation Pro

Product/Version : VMware Workstation Pro/15.0

Question :

what could be done to make the windows server run faster and better in a workstation pro, could i add more storage and memory and also add one more core. I understand the guidelines as far as memory allocation, of maximum 2.7 GB, but what about storage increase and add another cpu and multiple cores for a total of 2 cpu and 8 cores total. would it help?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I understand the guidelines as far as memory allocation, of maximum 2.7 GB

Where did you find this? This may have been valid for some older 32-bit operating systems, but not for 64-bit OSs.

André

0 Kudos
62maxwell
Contributor
Contributor

the 2.7 GB is noted on the settings. As a guideline, VMware recommends maximum 2.7GB, also notes, if the memory is increased then memory swapping may occur.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
62maxwell
Contributor
Contributor

I increased the CPUs to 2 and 4  cores per. also increased the memory to 2.7, and expanded storage to 77GB. But I still like faster performance. I am happy with what I got, but could I still add more memory. This is a 64-bit machine on a 64-bit computer.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How much physical memory do you have in the host?

How are the Memory settings configured for VMware Workstation (in "Preferences")?

André

0 Kudos
62maxwell
Contributor
Contributor

i have about 32 GB total

on the vm, right now I have 2.7 GB

0 Kudos
62maxwell
Contributor
Contributor

ok, i apologize.

I misread it. It says if you go beyond 27.9 gb on memory, then memory swapping will happen.

I increased the memory on the vm to 4gb and the cpu and memory seems a lot more stable in the vm. Also the physical computer is running better, whereas before it was over-utilizing the cpu- it stood around 30% on the physical machine. But now it is a lot better. So adding more memory is a good thing.

0 Kudos