VMware Communities
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

why so many .vmdk files in virtual machine folder? also I am running vm workstation 10 can I upgrade to vsphere?

hi all, I like the vmware product. the scalability can not be beat. couple of questions, I have workstation 10.0.3 latest build it seems there is not a higher version after that?

my host machine is a 1tb h/d 8gigs of ram  2.2 ghz processor. I seem to remember reading somewhere that vsphere requires more? also I have a bunch of .vmdk files in two of my virtual machine folders is there a way to turn that off is it safe to turn of it eating up space. Thanks for the feedback.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Neil.

Yes, 10.0.3 is the latest released version. There is a "Tech Preview" that is a later version if you feel adventurous.

Your specs should be ok for vSphere, but that does not mean that it will run natively on that machine, you could try to run it in workstation instead.

The many VMDK-files is probably because you choose to have them in 2GB increments when you created your virtual machine, you can also choose to have one big VMDK file. It should not have any big impact on performance.

// linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Neil.

Yes, 10.0.3 is the latest released version. There is a "Tech Preview" that is a later version if you feel adventurous.

Your specs should be ok for vSphere, but that does not mean that it will run natively on that machine, you could try to run it in workstation instead.

The many VMDK-files is probably because you choose to have them in 2GB increments when you created your virtual machine, you can also choose to have one big VMDK file. It should not have any big impact on performance.

// linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos