VMware Communities
HarryPutnam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

where are the tools kept?

Very discouraging... looking thru the manual and comments on guest OSs I see repeatedly under the `Install vmware tools' to mount the virtual cd disk of vmware tools... but it never tells where these are.

Its probably a very dense question but where is this virutal cd kept (and why isn't it made clear un `How to install vmware tools'?)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HarryPutnam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> Very discouraging... looking thru the manual and comments on guest OSs I see repeatedly under the `Install vmware tools' to mount the virtual cd disk of vmware tools... but it never tells where these are.

> Its probably a very dense question but where is this virutal cd kept (and why isn't it made clear un `How to install vmware tools'?)

I realized I didn't make it very clear what I'm after.

I want the location of the vmware-tools software so I can mount it using the virtual cdrom drive.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

It depends on host OS, but look for iso files.

In Windows they are in:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation

You do not need to know this. Just follow instructions from the manual.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>I want the location of the vmware-tools software so I can mount it using the virtual cdrom drive.

Just in case you are hosting on Linux, they are at:

/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages

Or in the tarball at:

vmware-distrib/lib/isoimages

I have had a couple of occasions where I had to copy them manually because using the install tools option failed to mount the virtual CDROM properly (I have only seen this on Linux host, when mounting inside a Linux VM).

Lou

0 Kudos