VMware Communities
debgary11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

when is full screen not full screen?

VMware is only using about 60-70% of the available space on my screen. I had truly hoped the newer version of VMware would be adept at utilising more of the available screen, but it appears not. As you can see from the screen shot, I have selected the full screen mode both within the VM itself, and VMware Workstation program.vmware.jpgIs there a way to overcome this serious limitation? I know I can probably change the resolution on my screen, but that would be very inconvenient for other programs, and the overall display would suffer.

I'm currently trialling VMware 10 and virtually have my c/card in hand, but this issue is serious enough to have me hanging back from making a payment. Any help would be appreciated and I hope I'm just missing something fundamental...... :-)+

Not sure what info to supply here. I've been through all my settings and believe I have everything correctly set, but am hoping I just missed something that can be pointed out to me.

Deb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlanaA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like you have Console View enabled. Go to View > Console View to toggle it.

You can also make the top bar hide itself by clicking the push pin looking icon.

Edit:

Also, if you haven't installed the VMware Tools in the guest OS then you should do so. It'll allow the guest's resolution to automatically change when going into full screen in order to fill the entire screen. In windowed mode, the guest will also fill the Workstation window when it's resized. I think this is the default behavior but can be changed in the settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlanaA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like you have Console View enabled. Go to View > Console View to toggle it.

You can also make the top bar hide itself by clicking the push pin looking icon.

Edit:

Also, if you haven't installed the VMware Tools in the guest OS then you should do so. It'll allow the guest's resolution to automatically change when going into full screen in order to fill the entire screen. In windowed mode, the guest will also fill the Workstation window when it's resized. I think this is the default behavior but can be changed in the settings.

0 Kudos
debgary11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alana you were spot on. Such a simple solution and I couldn't find the answer anywhere. Thanks so much. I disabled console, then selected the 'full screen' mode and now the VM view takes up most of my screen :-). I'll have to whip out the c/card and make the purchase. No excuses left now. Thanks so very much for your fabulous help.

0 Kudos