VMware Communities
gncd
Contributor
Contributor

what is .vmdk.REDO

Hello

So the case is like this, I have virtual machine w2k3 that needs more HD size (running on VMWARE workstation). Ok I made a copy with vMWARE Converter. After it was done I started it, the size was right etc but all the settings went back to the year 2006 when it was installed.

The wierd thing is what I noticed that the working directroy also has another large file that goes like this Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmdk.REDO_a03612 (original was Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmdk)

I tried to do all wild stuff like change the name of the REDO to normal and covert it, suprise...I failed.

So could it be something like that this REDO has all the settings? And is there any way to merge these settings to the original vmdk file?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ssahadev2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Redo files are created when a snapshot it taken, you will have to remove or delete snapshot to merge the data from redo to vmdk.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As has been explained the REDO log is the difference between the snapshot and now. So, renaming it wont work.However, when you revert to a snapshot if you added disks or change settings in the mean time, those changes are undone..

If for example you made a machine, put windows on it..

took a snapshot coz its shiney and clean

added a disk to store source code etc

tweaked the memory

worked on it for months

.. decided time for a rebuilt, went back to snapshot, the source code disk and memory changes disapear!!!

You need to be aware of when you make changes what effect it could hav.e

0 Kudos
gncd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for answers...

But still, maybe because of my "not so good" english, I don't understand that how the merging of chanced data could be done?

If you guys have somekind of sample like, 1. klick this. 2.klick that etc. Or some helpful links about it.

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

the redo-file you have comes from an older version of VMware - you probably need to merge the redo to its parent with the older version.

If you don't have that anymore - you need workarounds to use current versions.

I explained things like that on my site - check

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-undoable-mode-for-vmserver.html

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-virthw-modes.html

0 Kudos