VMware Communities
mgroen1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

webcam video not displayed in VM

Running Workstation Pro 16.1.2 build 17966106 running Windows 10 on a Windows 10 host.

On the host, USB 2.0 camera is installed, working properly.

In the guest, I have enabled a webcam, using setting: Workstation -> VM -> Removable devices -> Microdia USB 2.0 Camera -> Connect (disconnect from host).

In the guest, when I start Skype, I can select settings -> Audio and video -> Camera -> USB Camera.

Now, the video of the webcam is not displayed (just black image is displayed in stead). Also the webcam itself is stating "not connected" (green light on the device is turned off), which turns on by itself as soon as its transmitting.

Seems like an integration issue of the webcam device and the VM...

How can this be fixed? So that the webcam is actually sending correct image in the VM?

Thanks,

Mathijs

In the menu: VM -> 

Labels (1)
  • Ru

0 Kudos
8 Replies
btmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry may not be much help but my first thought would be drivers for the camera may still need to get installed on the guest VM. You may want to check Device Manager in the VM and compare the entries for the camera with how they show up on your host. 😕

0 Kudos
mgroen1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, good suggestion but the webcam uses native windows drivers. It has no specific drivers needed.

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As btmp says above . . . is the webcam appearing, and shown as working in the guests 'Device Manager' ?

0 Kudos
IvanCarlos
Contributor
Contributor

I got same issue, it was working some months ago before last update, it's still recognizable and with drivers on Device Manager, but when I open it the screen does not appears on any application (Windows Camera, Zoom, Teams, etc)

IvanCarlos_0-1661446950125.png

IT & Cyber Security consultant
ivan@ivancarlos.com.br
0 Kudos
Rosiaantje
Contributor
Contributor

I have nearly the same case here..

VMware Workstation 16 Pro
16.2.4 build-20089737 (issue was there also in previous versions)

Host: Windows 11 (continuously updated)
VM: Windows 10 (continuously updated)

Webcam: Razer Kiyo Pro

Camera functions correctly on host and other machines.
Within VM camera is recognized by windows as well as teams, camera app etc, and i'm able to change settings.
In my case the light on cam lights op when opening up a stream.
But output stay's black.

I tried USB 2.0 within vmware and then connecting the cam but that throws connection error.
Tried both the driver of Razer as wel as the USB video driver (witch is compatible and functioning on host)

Some were down the road of the connection the stream turns black..

Its such a pity as this camera was bought for just this use case..

@IvanCarlos do you have any progression on your challenge?

0 Kudos
trevw
Contributor
Contributor

Every find a fix for this, having same issue. Thanks

0 Kudos
umrrudy
Contributor
Contributor

After the virtual machine setting has been completed, install 

sudo apt-get install guvcview

on the guest, and then add 

vusbcamera.passthrough = "TRUE"

on .vmx file.

I use VMWare Player v16.1.2. Host os: Ubuntu 22.04. Guest os: Ubuntu 20.10.

0 Kudos
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In VMware fusion, you can add a webcam as a device, not just a removable device. Maybe this is the same in workstation, not sure. Also you can try disabling USB 3.0 or enabling in VM bios, (depending on what current setup is)
0 Kudos