VMware Communities
johanfeyaerts
Contributor
Contributor

webcam dell m6700 mobile workstation

Hi,

I'm using workstation 9 on a windows 7 ultimate  host, with a windows 7 ultimate guest

The hardware is a dell precision workstation m6700

on the host the webcam works fine

on the guest I see the device in the bottom of the screen in the usb device list

the device is a sunplus innvation integrated webcam

When I try to connect it I hear a sound, but I get an error message saying

the connection to the usb device "sunplus innvation integrated webcam" was unsuccessful

after that the device diappears from the bottom of the screen and I have to reboot my host before it reappears

Anybody has a clue how to get the m6700 to work in a win 7 ultimate guest on ws9?

tried using usb 3 and usb 2 controller on guest but no change.

Greetz 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeyDaMan
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with a Dell XPS L701x

if I plug a USB Device in while the VM is in focus, it will see it, but if it is already plugged in It does not recognize it. Tryed VMtools upgrade still nothing.

If I find something I'll let you know.

Mike

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Use external webcams if you want to use them inside a VM.

AFAIK buildin webcams never work inside a VM

0 Kudos
MikeyDaMan
Contributor
Contributor

Gotta love this guy!!!

Well unfortunately you are incorrect. I have been using my internal web cam for the past yr with WS8 no problems.

I have however done some troubleshooting to no avail. In the VM: Upgrade the machine hardware, removed and added a new USB controller, and upgraded tools. There seems to be a driver issue with my internal webcam and WS9. I just noticed I was getting a driver error for the USB when I try to attach it to the vm.  Next step will be to try building a VM from scratch in 9 and see what happens.

Sorry Continum but your comments are incorrrect, albiet your experience.

johanfeyaerts
Contributor
Contributor

which usb controller did you use to make your webcam work?

Did you reinstall win7 with the webcam connected to the VM?

0 Kudos
megaladon
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am having the exact same issue, but with a Thinkpad X220. Worked great with Workstation 8, but no longer with Workstation 9.

Windows 7 64-bit host

Windows 7 32-bit guests

The webcam is integrated, so no idea if it is USB 3.0 which would maybe explain the issue, after reading these notes:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1025956

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2041591

0 Kudos
johanfeyaerts
Contributor
Contributor

Did not solve it so far

I m using win 7 ultimate 64 as guest.When configure usb 3.0 in the vmware guest settings the USB 3.0 controller is not recognized.

Windows cannot find a driver for it, most probably the builtin cam is an usb3 device.

In the host bios I cannot see any way to connect the cam to usb 2.0

So I should get a driver for the USB 3.0 controller on the vmware guest system. Is there one for win 7 64 ultimate ?

greets

0 Kudos