KaL4
Contributor
Contributor

.vmx is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

Jump to solution

vm.jpg

hi,

from past few days, im getting an error - .... .vmx is not a valid virtual machine configuration file.

how do i rectify this? iv even attached all the vm files (configuration, logs, bios..)

could anyone please guide me with a solution?

thanking you in advance,

Kaly

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "e6.0vm.vmx.zip" file contains a new "e6.0vm.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware-0.log file.

With the target Virtual Machine's Tab closed in VMware Workstation, unzip (double-click) the attached "e6.0vm.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "e6.0vm.vmx" file with the one here.

Additionally since the vmware-0.log file was from 2012-12-24 and pointing to "D:\ECC 6 VM Ware\Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.vmdk" if the VM has had a Snapshot added since then you will then need to edit the attached "e6.0vm.vmx" file to reflect the current Snapshot before starting the Virtual Machine again.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
YGPlazma
Contributor
Contributor

My virtual machine was turned on for days/weeks and after I paused it, it won't reopen:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "e6.0vm.vmx.zip" file contains a new "e6.0vm.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware-0.log file.

With the target Virtual Machine's Tab closed in VMware Workstation, unzip (double-click) the attached "e6.0vm.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "e6.0vm.vmx" file with the one here.

Additionally since the vmware-0.log file was from 2012-12-24 and pointing to "D:\ECC 6 VM Ware\Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.vmdk" if the VM has had a Snapshot added since then you will then need to edit the attached "e6.0vm.vmx" file to reflect the current Snapshot before starting the Virtual Machine again.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

YGPlazma wrote: My virtual machine was turned on for days/weeks and after I paused it, it won't reopen:

If you archive (compress) the target Virtual Machine's vmware.log file and attach the .zip file to a reply post one of us here will create a new .vmx configuration file for you to replace the invalid one with.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Kaly,  I originally uploaded the wrong .vmx configuration file however I have edited the original reply to have the correct file attached. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
YGPlazma
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ - is this the one?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

YGPlazma wrote:  WoodyZ - is this the one?

Yes.

==========

The attached "Windows_XP_Professional.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With the target Virtual Machine's Tab closed in VMware Workstation, unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_XP_Professional.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
YGPlazma
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! Will let you know in about 20 minutes whether it works

0 Kudos
YGPlazma
Contributor
Contributor

I apologize for confusing you.

I followed your instructions (replaced the original file with the one you uploaded for me) and I keep getting the same error (see attachment)... and only now I realized that my situation isn't exactly the same as Kaly's

I had this machine set up to load an ISO image every time and my error message looks like this

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

YGPlazma wrote: I apologize for confusing you.

I followed your instructions (replaced the original file with the one you uploaded for me) and I keep getting the same error (see attachment)... and only now I realized that my situation isn't exactly the same as Kaly's

I had this machine set up to load an ISO image every time and my error message looks like this

No apology necessary as I wasn't confused to begin with and all I did was create a new .vmx configuration file from the vmware.log file you provided as I've done hundreds of times over the years... So no big deal however I do now see why you choose to block out part of the error message in your original post! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
KaL4
Contributor
Contributor

hey WoodyZ... Thanks a lot, its Working !!!

0 Kudos
YGPlazma
Contributor
Contributor

You're too good to be true. After a few attempts, even a newb like myself was able to get it to work.

Thank you so much and have a great N.Y. 2013!

0 Kudos
KaL4
Contributor
Contributor

has the file you provided me got anything to do with this error -

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2232160#2232160 

???

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

KaL4 wrote: has the file you provided me got anything to do with this error -

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2232160#2232160 

???

NO! Not at all!

0 Kudos
KaL4
Contributor
Contributor

do u have any faint idea as to why this error appears?
its really frustrating a lot as i have to keep rebooting each time i get the error 😞

0 Kudos
sinbernal
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Woody Z,

Could you help me please ! I have got the same error message after a "Not enough disk" message apear.

All my work is save in those two VMs.

Many Many Thanks

0 Kudos