VMware Communities
downshall
Contributor
Contributor

vmware ws 12 - network issues

I am suddenly unable to connect to the network on any of my VMs. I have uninstalled and installed vmware and installed the latest 12.5 build. I have used the network editor (run as administrator) to reset the network configuration. The problem exists across every VM, so it is not machine dependent. It appears to be an issue with the underlying application. Of interest is that the network editor is recreating "Ethernet 2" and does not create the more standard "VMnet8". VMnet1 does get created. the system has now created four separate Ethernet 2 connections.

Both bridged and NAT have been tried and neither works.

Anybody having similar struggles?

7 Replies
downshall
Contributor
Contributor

A bit more info. I found I was incorrect about the adapters on the host system. They appear correct. For some reason a refresh cleared that up. The adapters appear to be correct. Problem persists.

0 Kudos
davidbain
Contributor
Contributor

We're also seeing this issue on more than one computer, with confirmation that the network was working on the Workstation guests a couple of weeks back.

0 Kudos
downshall
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have good information for you. I got on the phone with support, and for some reason it resolved before we got there. I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I reset everything using the network editor. I tried everything I could put my hands on and nothing resolved the issue. I don't think my computer rebooted between the last time I saw it not working and realizing it was now working. I have no clue what caused the issue and I have no clue what resolved the issue. Thirty years of coding and I've never seen anything quite like it.

0 Kudos
davidbain
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update, glad you're up and running again. I'm thinking it could potentially be caused by a Windows update but that's just speculation, I haven't had the chance to look into it further.

0 Kudos
downshall
Contributor
Contributor

Those were my suspicions as well. I do not know, nor did I seek to find out, if an update occurred that would have corrected the issue. That would make some sense however.

davidbain
Contributor
Contributor

Thankfully for us the Workstation installs are not critical, however had this have happened to ESXi then I would be hunting the problem non-stop.

0 Kudos
davidbain
Contributor
Contributor

Solution for us was under Edit > Virtual Network Editor and restoring the defaults. This reinstalls the network adapters for bridging etc, undoing whatever (probably a Win10 update) removed or changed. After the three VMnet's are seen in the network editor all VM's had network connectivity once again.

2016-11-02 16_14_35-Networking _ Internet not working on linux inst... _ VMware Communities.png

0 Kudos