VMware Communities
ksenter
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation prevents other windows from getting focus

I'm running VMware Workstation 6.5.3 on Ubuntu 9.10 as my host. I just did a clean install because of a bunch of problems after upgrading. I've pretty much got everything sorted out now except for one little annoyance. When I launch another application in linux it opens behind VMware Workstation. Same thing if I minimize the application, when I click on it again in the taskbar it doesn't show up. I either have to minimize VMware workstation to see it, or I've found if I right click the program in the task bar and change it to be always on top and then unclick it to not always be on top then when I click it again it shows up (or I can move it to another workspace and then back). But once any application other than vmware workstation is on top I can switch between all the others and they show up just fine. But as soon as VMware gets focus again everything else disappears. It's not a big problem, just really annoying. I know it has to be something simple, but I've just googled it and searched the knowledgebase and forums for an hour and I just must not be using the right series of words because I can't find the solution. Anybody know how to fix this?

Also, I can't find my global configuration file. I don't have a .vmware folder in my home folder (i.e. when I try to cd to it it says no such directory). I had some trouble getting vmware workstation to install, I had to follow these instructions to get it to install: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1350962 so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the missing global config file. I can create one, I just wonder what's supposed to be in it by default...I guess it might not matter if everything in it is set to the default settings then being empty should be the same as being default, right? Or could this be related to my other problem?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies