VMware Communities
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation not detecting gpu

Hello,

I have vmware pro workstation v15 and it's not detecting gpu. I want to be using my gpu on both my physical machine and the vm.

Thanks in advance.

Capturar.PNG

0 Kudos
25 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware Workstation (or VMware Player) cannot pass through the graphical card directly to your VM.
Note that even if you could do this that only ONE machine could use it (either your host OR your VM)

What you can do is to:

- make sure that your VM is using the latest virtual hardware
- enable 3D on the display
- install the latest vmware tools.

If it still doesn't work then start by providing a vmware.log file and give us more details, such as your hardware and what game you are trying to run.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Could I make it so when I have vmware executed it uses my gpu, but if I close it my pc will?

Or can I get a "virtual gpu", if that even exists, so it could run the game because it requires a gpu and as it's not detecting my pc one...

0 Kudos
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

Spoiler
3d are enabled. And where do I check if I'm using the latest vmware tools. Should I reinstall them?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

Capturar.PNG

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As I said in my first sentence "VMware Workstation cannot pass-through the graphics adapter", so no, you cannot as it isn't a feature of VMware Workstation.

DirectX 9 normally isn't a problem.
What's your guest OS?
What's your host OS?

If you give me screenshots or details, please explain to me what it is that I am seeing. If I have to guess... I cannot help.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

So, this is the minimum requirements for the game to run.

0 Kudos
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

Host: Windows 10 Pro x64

vm: windows 10 home

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

OK, please provide the vmware.log file(s) from the VM (you can find these files in the folder of the virtual machine).
You might have to zip them up before you can attach these files due to the forum software we nowadays use.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

~My issue now is "where can I download the vsphere physical client?"

Can you help with that? Thanks.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

??? The vSphere physical client is deprecated and is not for using with VMware Workstation but with vSphere.

Your question makes no sense to me at all considering that you previously talked about gaming.. (vSphere client won't help for that)

It is somewhere under download (I have to google it too)

--
Wil

0 Kudos
blair34
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking to gpu passthrough and was searching around and seemed that vsphere would be able to help. Now, I would prefer to have the client instead of it on the browser. Also have some issues with ip whitelisting, is it possible? So I can allow a different pc to access the vsphere server.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Recent versions of vSphere do not support the thick Client anymore, it was deprecated years ago and I would not even consider to go down that path. IIRC then vSphere 4.x was the last version to work with the thick client. That was over 10 years ago.

vSphere is a completely different animal and needs to be installed on the metal instead of on top of another OS such as Windows. You'll need another machine to connect to your vSphere installation, that can be either via the browser (the default), VMware Workstation or Fusion, and also vmrc.

Even in this scenario you would need to have 2 graphics adapters (one for vSphere, one for the VM) in order to use it. Note also that vSphere only allows pass-through with supported graphics adapters (which you will not have as those are way more expensive than a consumer GPU)

If you really want to do "gaming in a VM with pass through GPU" then I personally would not look at VMware as my first thing to try. Yes it can be made to work, no it won't be easy. Probably better to run Linux and use KVM or one of its derivatives such as ProxMox.

--
Wil

fazimdev
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to pass gpu to my wmware pro virtual machine for gaming

My host is windows 10 with hyervisor enabled and I am virtualizing a windows 10

How can i achive passthrough, thnx in advance.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@fazimdev 

Did you actually read the replies to this thread?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You cannot as it is not a feature of VMware Workstation.

GPU Passthrough with Windows as host OS cannot be achieved with any VMware product.

Your options are:
- VMware vSphere, so no host OS and needing hacks to get a consumer GPU to work
- Windows Server 2016/2019 as host OS and Hyper-V
- Run a Linux host and use KVM or ProxMox

--
Wil

fazimdev
Contributor
Contributor

Alright I will go with VMware vSphere thnx :).

0 Kudos
Siwging
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please explain how to run it through Windows Server 2019 please?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@Siwging wrote:

Could you please explain how to run it through Windows Server 2019 please?

GPU passthrough with Windows Server 2019?
As I said, that is only possible via a Hyper-V and for that answer you'll need to go to a Microsoft forum.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
Siwging
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Basically, I have hyper-v enabled. Tried passthrough via ESXi aswell and for some reason when I manage Host devices it won’t even detect list of PCI devices that are connected. I have 3 GPUs plugged in and only one is used by host. Is there a checklist or something you can guide me with please ?

0 Kudos