VMware Communities
networking_stud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware workstation error

123.jpeg

I'm trying to run windows server 2016 in VMware workstation Pro 12 on windows 7 64 bit. VMware shows me this error. kindly help me to solve this error

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It looks like the Pentium B970 CPU does not have VT-x. You can see the specification from the Intel ARK site and it indicates "No" for VT-x for this CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/63915/intel-pentium-processor-b970-2m-cache-2-3...

In addition to that, the photo shows 4GB RAM for this host machine. That is too little to be running VMs. Consideration needs to be also on how much RAM the VM(s) you plan to run need.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is most likely to be your CPU or your BIOS settings - give more details on your CPU spec and check the virtualization settings in your system BIOS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
networking_stud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

123.jpg

Here is my CPU detail and I also enabled virtualization technology by clicking "VT-x only" option. Please help me to solve this problem.

The error shows that  "This virtual machine is configured for the 64-bit guest operating system. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. This host does not support Intel VT-x."

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It looks like the Pentium B970 CPU does not have VT-x. You can see the specification from the Intel ARK site and it indicates "No" for VT-x for this CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/63915/intel-pentium-processor-b970-2m-cache-2-3...

In addition to that, the photo shows 4GB RAM for this host machine. That is too little to be running VMs. Consideration needs to be also on how much RAM the VM(s) you plan to run need.

networking_stud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

321.jpg

Here I show all the network adapters of my CPU. Are these specifications do not fulfill virtualization technology?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The network adapter in Windows has nothing to do with VT-x. The Intel CPU needs to have VT-x to run 64-bit guest OS. VT-x is used to execute the instructions of the guest OS on the CPU.

For version 14, 15, 16, Intel Westmere generation onwards CPU that has both VT-x and EPT is required. EPT is used to managed the virtual RAM.

You need to find a different computer with VT-x.

networking_stud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for finding the original problem.

0 Kudos