VMware Communities
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation 9 ubuntu 12.10 problem

i have opened this thread because i upgraded to ubuntu 12.10 beta (kernel 3.5) and i have problem with vmware workstation 9:

"Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to"

does anyone got the same problem?

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

no one has tried this combination?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

What version of Ubuntu did you  uplgrad from.  Presume 12.04 - it this  right?   Did you completely uninstall VMwar  before the upgrade.  Use Vmware KB 38 but add a line to    step 7

# rm -fr /var/run/vm*.

VMware tech writer forgot this line - they should add it - its in  my instructions which they prettied up. 

These step will also remove leftovers from any patch that has been app[lied.  Then reinsall WS and immediately appply the patch.

WS 9 on Ubuntu 12.10 (daily build afte rthe after the beta) -   Latest 3.5 level kernel - works perfectly for me.  Just created a Windows Server 2012 RTM machine with nested Hyper-V Windows 8 RTM  machine.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

i upgraded from 12.04,

i did uninstalled after upgrade and tried to reinstall and make it work applying the patch for kernel 3.5

found here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2103172#2103172

but that was not a good solution,

maybe i will try your solution, can you detail a little bit how did you manage to make it work and if the patch in the link posted is the right one?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Uninstall WS BEFORE you   upgrade the OS.

Run these commands as su ( easier than running   sudo   before earch command if you are comfortable with this

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

/usr/bin/vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation

/etc/init.d/vmware stop
lsmod | grep vm

cd /lib/modules/kernel_version/misc
mv vm* /tmp

rmmod vmnet.o
rmmod vmmon.o
rmmod vmci.o
rmmod vmblock.o
rmmod vmppuser.o

rm /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc2.d/*vmware*
rm /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc3.d/*vmware*
rm /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc5.d/*vmware*
rm /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc6.d/*vmware*

rm -rf /etc/vmware*
rm /usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator
rm /usr/bin/vmnet*
rm -r /usr/lib/vmware*
rm -r /usr/share/doc/vmware*
rm -fr /var/run/vm*
------------------------------------------------------------

-As well as adding the line rm -fr /va/lib/vm* run the native unistaller first.  I neglected this step.  Don't worry if  some of the removal steps say "file not found"  Reboot.

Then install WS 9 on the new kernel.  Then run the patch.  The patch output will start  the VMware services.  If it says you can now run WS at the completion of the script you should be good to go. Enter the license.  Be sure all the  compiler binaries and kernel heades ar present - otherwise the patch won't complete. .  ( I run aptitude install build-essential, install kernel headers for the running kernel (I use synpatic myself)).

Of course nothing works every time for everybody.  That's not the way the world is.

Good luck.

belloa
Contributor
Contributor

as far i wasn't able to run vmware 9 i donwgraded to 12.04 stable version i suppose i will switch to 12.10 when it will exit and i hope that at this time there will be a bigger user base trying to make vmware workstation 9 work in tubuntu 12.10, anyway if i have time i test this procedure at home where i have a ubuntu 12.10 workstation already working.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

Clean install of ubuntu 12.10 (daily build) installed vmware 9 and patched but not working, my laptop is a Lenovo T420 with Nvidia Optimus Technology.

Beginning to be bored... vmware-workstation is the most powerful virtual machine manager for workstation environment but in linux it's going to make me becoming crazy.

Please has someone hints to give us?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

What is not working?  Be specific.  Can't install on host?  Can't create a VM using GUI? Can't boot a VM you have created?  Errors in VM after booting (no cut-and-paste, no timesync no video effect). Does you probelm affect  all guests?  Run from administrator mode?

If you are getting bored why should we continue to help?

Good luck

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

After installing vmware workstation 9, the patch does not work (it can't stop the various vmware services) i suppose due to some incompatibility with nvidia optimus card in My laptop and kernel 3.5 of ubuntu 12.10, and when i tried to power up a machine it does not work and it says that it's not possibile ("Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to") .

I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 in a virtual machine (on my laptot with ubuntu 12.04 physical) and also installed VMware workstation with the patch and it works but it is not working on My laptop directly physical.

I will give you further detail as soon as i can.

can be relate to kernel 3.5 and nvidia optimus card of my lenovo thinkpad of t420?

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

i can't patch correctly and get the thinks be builded correctly, my configuration is ubuntu 12.10 fresh installation vmware workstation 9 fresh install on top of a lenovo thikpad t420 with nvidia optimus video card.

have a problems.. this message is show whem i try to apply the patch..

#####################################################################################
Stopping VMware services:
VMware Authentication Daemon done
At least one instance of VMware VMX is still running.
Please stop all running instances of VMware VMX first.

VMware Authentication Daemon done
Unable to stop services
#####################################################################################

How can i stop the vmware services to apply the patch?

This message is too show when i try to patch again
./patch-modules_3.5.0.sh
/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/.patched found. You have already patched your sources. Exiting

But the vmware is not working, and i can’t unstall…

0 Kudos
AndreD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you should to this part, then reboot:

cd /lib/modules/kernel_version/misc
mv vm* /tmp

or:

rmmod vmnet.o
rmmod vmmon.o
rmmod vmci.o
rmmod vmblock.o
rmmod vmppuser.o

then try again.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

If you are going to completely uninstall VMware WS I suggest following my instructions above (modified kb 38) in order to remove patch leftovers and /var/run/vmware files.  Then install the WS bundle as su and immediately apply the platch before starting WS.  This has never failed for me and I've done it a dozen or more times on different Linux distros and kernels >= 3.6.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in Ubuntu

Output from /usr/bin/vmware-installer --help follows

-------------------------------------------------------------------

VMware Installer

Options:
  --version             show program's version number and exit
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit

Manage:
    Install or uninstall products

-i FILE, --install-bundle=FILE
                        Install bundle from FILE
    --install-component=FILE
                        Install a component
    --uninstall-component=NAME
                        Force uninstallation of a component
    -u NAME, --uninstall-product=NAME
                        Uninstall a product
    -r, --resolve-system
                        Force the system to resolve the current state
    --register-file=COMPONENT_NAME (config|regular) FILE
                        Register a file in the database
    -x DIR, --extract=DIR
                        Extract the contents of the bundle into DIR

Information:
    Look up information on installed products

-l, --list-products
                        List installed products
    -t, --list-components
                        List the installed components
    -L COMPONENT, --list-files=COMPONENT
                        List files for a given component
    -S FILE, --find-file=FILE
                        List components and files matching the given pattern

Settings:
    Set and retrieve settings

-g COMPONENT KEY, --get-setting=COMPONENT KEY
                        Get setting
    -s COMPONENT KEY VALUE, --set-setting=COMPONENT KEY VALUE
                        Set setting
    -d COMPONENT KEY, --delete-setting=COMPONENT KEY
                        Delete setting

Options:
    --gtk               Use the Gtk+ UI (Default)
    --console         Use the console UI
    --custom          Displays all questions
    --regular           Displays questions that have no good defaults
                        (Default)
    --required          Displays only questions absolutely required
    -I, --ignore-errors
                        Ignore component script errors

Output froom /usr/bini/vmware-installer =l  (on my machine Ubuntu 12.10 host)

vmware-workstation   9.0.0.812388       
vmware-wsx               1.0.812388 

0 Kudos
rschwabe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was able to make a fresh Ubuntu 12.10 64 Bit Installation run with Workstation 9 by applying this patch:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2103172#2103172

However, to apply the patch I had to boot up a Ubuntu LiveCD and chroot into my system because VMwares Authentification Daemon couldnt be stopped (I complained that a VMX container would still be running, even after a fresh reboot when definitly no VM was running).

To do the chroot, I used this guide:

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/GRUB_2/Reparatur#chroot-Methode

Its in german, but the command lines are still universal to read. Just do the steps between "

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt" and "sudo chroot /mnt /bin/bash" and dont forget to modify the commands according to your system.

belloa
Contributor
Contributor

hey rschwabe i think you took the point!!! can i ask you wich video card you have? what is your hardware configuration?

After the procedure you explained everything was fine?

0 Kudos
rschwabe
Contributor
Contributor

The workstation is running fine since applying the patch.

I use an Intel integrated graphics card (Core i7 2600). Have a look at the attached hardinfo report for full configuration overview.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

do you also have nvidia optimus in your laptop?

i got the same issue described in this blog comments:

http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2012/08/30/vmware-workstation-9-0-player-5-0/#comment-8278

is it the same for you?

did you upgraded to ubuntu 12.10 or is a fresh install?

0 Kudos
rschwabe
Contributor
Contributor

I run a normal PC with an Intel Integrated Graphics Card. No Nvidia and no laptop.

However, I observed the same behavior with my Workstation you described in the beginning of the thread. I got the same error message and the Authentification Daemon wouldnt shutdown due to a supposedly running VM. Also, I couldnt unistall the Workstation.

Again, chrooting into my system from a LiveCD and applying the patch there, I was able to make the Workstation run (even without the hassle of unistalling). Make sure to restore the original source files (which were automatically backuped in the same directory when you last run the patch) before you apply the patch again.

I didnt upgrade from 12.04, I installed 12.10 from scratch.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your detailed explaination i' going to buy a New brand and bigger disk so i can reinstall My os and make a clean test. When i did test i got this problem on an upgraded os and also on a scratched install situation i won't lose time anymore to have My system reinstalled and Running so i will try that on a New disk, because this is My all day work machine.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

i tried chrootin but was unable to apply the patch it says to me that the patch was only available fot workstation 9 and player 5

0 Kudos
Mzantsi
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley SadI installed a new Packard Bell machine with new Ubuntu 12.10. The workstation 9 software installed fine. When starting workstation 9, the systems gave an error saying it cannot find the "kernel headers". I installed the kernel heeaders using "sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)" and the kernel headers were installed succesfully. I restarted workstation 9 and it worked succesfully. I rebooted the machine sucessfully but when starting workstation 9, the whole system crashed and I had to re-install ubuntu 12.10 again and again experiencing the same problem. Can someone help resolve the problem?

0 Kudos