VMware Communities
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation 9 ubuntu 12.10 problem

i have opened this thread because i upgraded to ubuntu 12.10 beta (kernel 3.5) and i have problem with vmware workstation 9:

"Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to"

does anyone got the same problem?

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Mzantsi
Contributor
Contributor

When is VMware going to release a patch to resolve Kernel 3,5 and Python 3 which are the probably the causes of this problem. I recently upgraded to worjstation 9 and know it is unusable because the whole system panicks to a black screen.

0 Kudos
AndreD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

good question, as a paying customer, I would expect VMWare to be much better propared.

0 Kudos
Mzantsi
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 9 is most buggy product that I believe was prematurely released. I do not have confidence in VMware for rendering me less productive when my productivity was enhanced. I tried all the adhoc patching solution they do not work. Someone must do something from VMware or refund all of us who have upgraded to their new product when we resort to Workstation 8.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

I Was able to solve at last. But that Was not an easy job.

0 Kudos
Mzantsi
Contributor
Contributor

What did you do?

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

I have followed this blog’s istructions.

http://javierin.com/2012/10/19/vmware-workstation-9-kernel-modules-for-ubuntu-12-10-quantal-quetzal-...

Alessandro Belloni

Consultant

EMC Computer Systems Italia S.p.A.

0 Kudos
jimwharton
Contributor
Contributor

The preparededness thing does have me a bit concerned. Now days, all operating systems release developer previews far ahead of the actual final releases. A company as big as VMWare is most likely paying to be a part of Apple's Dev program and MSDN to be able to test for Windows.

It's not like Ubuntu 12.10 wasn't available months before the final release. It should NOT have been a surprise. This is a software regression and the product shouldn't have made it out the door.

My issue has been different than any I've seen posted anywhere.

I can't actually get through the whole VMWare Workstation 9 installation without a general protection fault. It happens right near the end.

The product thinks it's installed. I can run the patch. But when I try to launch Workstation, it attempts, then fails.

I get an error when I try to use vmware-installer to uninstall workstation.

I've reverted back to 8.0.3 which I've found a way to get going but 3D acceleration now causes my Windows 7 Home Premium x86 to hang constantly. I've disabled 3D acceleration for now, but I'm in a worse place than I was this time last week.

0 Kudos
Mzantsi
Contributor
Contributor

I logged an offical support request to VMWARE. What I got was piece of rubbish that said Ubuntu 12.10 is unsupported. But the problem here is support for the current Linux kernel ver 3.5 which is a progressive thing to do. I cannot agree with more that this piece of ubfinished product shuld not have been released in the first place. I think they should be embarrased to issue the support response mentioned above which simple says they do not own up to their problem and would rather blame the user.

0 Kudos
AndreD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could not agree more, this needs to be publihed, at least on G+ or so, VMware must stop ignoring customers before it's too late.

0 Kudos
belloa
Contributor
Contributor

if you go to download room they have released 2 days ago a vmware workstation 9.0.1 that is fully compatible with ubuntu 12.10.

0 Kudos
Ramc_Natarajan
Contributor
Contributor

Go to Workstation preferences

then select shared vms, then change settings by enabling sharing

0 Kudos